Chevy Nova Forum banner

Anyone ever attempt a ohc straight six swap

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Twisted6 
#1 ·
Just got a 69 firebird sprint straight six and 200r4 for my 63 wagon. Just need an oilpan and pick up from a nova straight six to make it work.

#6 ·
Sounds like a great swap. I've considered it in the past but have concerns about the overall length of the OHC engine. The block itself should be very similar in length, but, I think, the OHC front timing belt and accessories increase the overall length of the engine and may create probs getting a radiator between the front of the engine and the rad support.

Please keep us updated with pics and good luck. Hope it goes smoothly.

Dave

#7 ·
I was going to do that to mine at one point, but parts are WAY too much for 6's in general, and especially for one that had limited production numbers in the first place. They are based on a Chevy 6 block, but there are a number of differences that I don't recall. I knew a guy with a 67 Tempest that had the 4 bbl./4 spd. combo and it ran pretty good.

#8 ·
66 Chevy II w/ Pontiac OHC 6cyl

I am new, Don't know how old some of the posts are, but when my Brother bought his 66Nova SS in (1975) it had the OHC Pontiac 6 cyl in it. all these years later some one told us that it possibly could have been the original engine! when that engine stopped in 1976 , he replaced it with a 1968 nova 6cyl out of a wreking yard, it went about 300,000 miles before he took the running engine out and sold the engine. we are now trying to figure out if any novas came off the Michigan plant with a Pontiac OHC 6 cyl. it may have only been a handful. if that is the case it may be an extreemly rare nova
any Chevy Guys out there know???? thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.