Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna purchase a new carb today, just wanted to know if anybody is running the Holley aluminum ultra HP carbs on a street strip car. I was ready to go to Summit until I was reading not to use them on the street at all. Just curious as to if anybody has one and your opinions. No this isnt at all a daily driver, but i do take the occassional trip in town A few times a month. Thanks

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Not running one of those but I would at least check into an AED Performance carb. If you know all the details of your engine like vacuum, etc. it'll be ready right out of the box for you. I LOVE my AED carb. It is the most responsive carb. I've ever run and it sees only street time. Mines a 750 HO.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
My plans were to go that route until I found out about Pro-Systems carbs. They'll build you a custom built carb to your car and engine's specs that is bolt-on, ready to roll. No muss - No fuss! AND for about the same price as an HP.

Here's their link: http://www.prosystemsracing.com/index1.html

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys.... But no thanks too.... Now I'm never gonna decide lol!!! I've looked at both places and now I'm undecided. Both look awesome. Thanks

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys.... But no thanks too.... Now I'm never gonna decide lol!!! I've looked at both places and now I'm undecided. Both look awesome. Thanks
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :thumbsup:

Take my word for it! You'll be a lot better off than buying that HP, bolting it on your car, messing with it all summer long trying to set it up and still not get it right. :D

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Listen to Pandora both are great carbs you won't be dissapointed with either one. You're car will run like it's on steroids. RICK

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
It will be as good as the info you provide them. Just be sure to tell it like it is and not what you'd like it to be and Patrick will give you exactly what will work.

B.T.W.: They have a customer service second to none.

·
Registered
69 Posts
had prosystems build one for my 383.been running it about a year.no problems whatsoever.just bolt on and go.runs perfect from idle to 6500 rev limiter.highly recomend them

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Well I'm gonna order a pro systems carb.... Hope you guys are right!
They dont always just bolt on and go... Not even close in my case.:mad: If your interested in the issues I had PM me... There are lots of Pro Systems fans but I wish I had done some more research first.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PM sent. I searched quite a bit on here and this fancy interweb about them. However at this point there's no turning back. I should have it by next week. I'm hoping for the best!

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
They didn't get to be known as "the worlds fastest carburator" for nuttin'! :D

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
This years carb shootout contest

Shootout order going in to the elite 8 (% difference from baseline carb performance.)
1) AED 0.999657
2) DeVane 0.999149
3) Quick Fuel 0.998369
4) Stallion 0.996540
5) Holley 0.992343
6) Mark Whitener 0.987058
7) Braswell 0.985502
8) KB Carbs 0.976205
9) KARS 0.830538

Alcohol portion of the shootout was:
1) Braswell 1.006381
2) Quick Fuel 1.000009
3) KB Carbs 0.996803

Now the moment we have all been waiting for.......
This years results are as follows:

1) Quick Fuel 1.004473
2) AED 0.999657
3) Mark Whitener 0.997056
4) DeVane 0.993828
5) Stallion 0.993702
6) KB Carbs 0.989218
7) Braswell 0.987924
8) Holley 0.975408
9) KARS 0.828399

Congratulations to Quick Fuel Technology for their win in this years small block carburetor shootout.

Ok now for the results of the Big Block Portion of the shootout.

Out of Box Winner Quick Fuel Technology
Alcohol Winner KB Carburetors

Elite 8 Listing in Order
2) CFM (Cubic Flow Modifications) 1.002015
3) Holley Performance 0.999805
4) AED (Advanced Engine Design) 0.997118
5) Quick Fuel Technology 0.996907
6) Braswell 0.995549
7) APD (Advanced Product Design) 0.995068
8) Mark Whitener 0.981998
9) Stallion 0.998822
10) Drag Race Tech Services 0.993502

And This Years Big Block Carburetor Shootout Champion is :
KB Carburetors !!!!!

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
There will always be a debate as well as opinions. :yes:

However, Pro Systems doesn't do the "pay to play" game. :no:

·
Registered
20,119 Posts
I love my Quickfuel 850 Qseries carb.:yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update.... Got the new Pro Systems delivered today. Boy is she purdy! Lets hope it runs as good as it looks!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
i think the HP carbs , and billet metering blocks are a joke ,,, but they make me look good when i fix one , so i hope they keep selling them ,lol ,,, nah not really ,,, i hate to see the sad face

they're basically making the main well deeper , and adding a 3rd emulsion hole ,, that is suppose to offset the deeper mainwell i suppose ,,,, why ,,, make the main well deeper ,, then you have to add another emulsion hole to help raise the fuel from the deeper main well ??? Best thing to do for one is go back to the old style metering block ,, so then why pay all that money for a HP ??

best HP 750 i saw was built by somebody that used 390 hp metering blocks because the main well is not as big as a standard HP metering block

i think having to add emulsion is a bad thing ,, HAVING to ,

eh ,, i've fixed a huge pile of HP's by going back to 1960-70's vintage plain old used metering blocks i get off ebay ,, and they can't believe how well the motor runs when they get it back

maybe in a restricted situation like on a 650 hp for a 9000 + rpm craftsman truck motor , the extra emulsion is just another path to get air in the motor ,, there must be some reason they do it ,,, a 650 HP really comes around by going to the old style metering blocks , soo ,, i'd get regular 4150 holley

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Just finished a 377 build .10.9 compression ,solid roller 263-271 .707 - .657 on a 106 lsa ...box stock AFR 227, box stock hurricane intake ,1 5/8 headers ( all we had ) ..3 inch pipes with hooker aerochambers ...AND a Hardcore hp950 ,out of the box ( except larger discharge nozzles ,and green pump cams ) .....made 487 hp @ 7100 rpm , and 511 torque @ 4200 rpm .....THE AIR/FUELS were 12.8 WOT .... No tuning done to the carb other than setting the transfer slots, and float levels ..oh and a little 4 corner adjusting ..NICE carb ....Very satisfied with the numbers ! forgot this is at the wheels , with slicks and 10psi .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts