Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you guys running a cat back flowmaster exhaust on your daily driver, how long have you had it and how rusty is it? Reason I ask is I put one on my 05 Silverado about 3 1/2 years, 60,000 miles ago and it's junk. Both tail pipes have rusted off and there is a hole in the pipe from the hanger rusting off.

I'm not flaming Flowmaster here, The Flowmasters on the Nova are over ten years old and still look good. I just thought the aluminized exhaust would last longer than this on a DD. At least I still have the stock exhaust in the garage.

John

·
Registered
532 Posts
For you guys running a cat back flowmaster exhaust on your daily driver, how long have you had it and how rusty is it? Reason I ask is I put one on my 05 Silverado about 3 1/2 years, 60,000 miles ago and it's junk. Both tail pipes have rusted off and there is a hole in the pipe from the hanger rusting off.

I'm not flaming Flowmaster here, The Flowmasters on the Nova are over ten years old and still look good. I just thought the aluminized exhaust would last longer than this on a DD. At least I still have the stock exhaust in the garage.

John
I worked at an exhaust shop for a while and truthfully you are lucky that you got that out of it. Most of them only make it about 45,000 or so. About the only thing you can do with it on a DD is get under it every few months and paint everything that is starting to rust. I have Flowmasters on my Nova as well and they have been on there for about 5 years or so. But the car wasn't hardly driven before I got it. In the 5 months that I have had it I have drove it more than what it was drove in those 5 years. So it still looks good and once I get my engine back in and running I will make sure that I paint everything.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
I have a cat back on my old suburban for almost 100 k no problems.I have had flows on my mustang for 3 years and they have a broken baffle and buzz at times.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I've seen plenty of them with the bottoms hanging down, and only a couple years old. I have Borla's on my Suburban--145,000+ and still like new. More than 10 years for the Borla's on my Nova too.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to get under there and put the stock exhaust back on before the muffler falls off on the road. :eek: The next system I buy will definitely be stainless.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
i put their cat back on my 89K5 in 2001 and it still looks good. no rust issue at all. in fact its still on the quite side. i keep waiting for it to start getting louder...

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
cat back systems lots of condensation from the cats clean burning exhaust thats what its supposed to do. watch cars next time see how much water comes pouring out the pipes. Try drilling some small drain holes to help get rid of the water.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
cat back systems lots of condensation from the cats clean burning exhaust thats what its supposed to do. watch cars next time see how much water comes pouring out the pipes. Try drilling some small drain holes to help get rid of the water.
ooo ya i see some cars with mini water falls coming out from the pipes

·
Registered
92 Posts
any place that is welded even on aluminized pipe will rust, if the mufflers, hangers, or tips are welded on the rust will start there within days. when we had our exhaust shop we would spray ceramic header paint on the welds while they were still hot to try give some protection from rust. even then they can still rust from the inside out because the aluminized coating burns off from the welding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts