Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a custom dash and center console. I don't want to run the heat switch unit or all the rest of the ducting. I will not be driving the car in the cold so I won't need heat. I also want to get rid of the mess on the passenger side of the firewall.

I was thinking of wiring up a couple of electric heaters mounted under the dash to point at the window. Just in case the window fogs.

Anyone try this?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yup - did the same thing on my 72. It really makes the engine bay look clean. I also have the battery in the trunk, no windshield washer fluid can, removed the fenderwells, no power steering and no power brakes. My engine bay is quite empty, but I love the look

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup - did the same thing on my 72. It really makes the engine bay look clean. I also have the battery in the trunk, no windshield washer fluid can, removed the fenderwells, no power steering and no power brakes. My engine bay is quite empty, but I love the look
Awesome! Did you wire up any electric heat or just go with nothing?

·
Registered
25 Posts
im still building my car and i wasn't going to install the heater either so let me know if the heaters pointed at the windshield works out because that sounds like a great idea.

·
Premium Member
6,852 Posts
No heater in my car because of the fenderwells.

·
Registered
566 Posts
a defrost is essential to drivng safety.

All it takes, is a cool morning after an all-night rain, and the inside windows will be fogged up completely.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
I haven't had any heat in my car since 1985. The windows do fog a bit if caught in the rain or a cool morning. Nothing I can't handle after 23 years of ownership.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have NO heat at all, but I only drive the car in the summer on nice days. No problems if you do that. If you get caught in the rain then you better have a towell ready to wipe the inside of the windshield every few minutes :)

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I was going to find a 12v hair dryer that would plug into a cig lighter to use as a defogger if ever needed.
Haven't needed one yet in 25 years.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Just carry a small squeege you get at the dollar store. Learned this trick from years of VW ownership:D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Just carry a small squeege you get at the dollar store. Learned this trick from years of VW ownership:D
i would love to pull up next to you at a light and see you with this little squeegee going to town in there haha.....yeah the vw's had that crap ducting that never worked good right?

i was contemplating this at one point and then decided to keep the heater, etc....i will probably remove them next winter, and i'm curious how the electric heater deal would work out

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Wll, the small squeege is actually like 6-8 inches wide with a rubber blade. It only takes like 4 passes to clear the windshield. No biggie. And yea, VW's like to rust out the heater channels, so by the time the air gets tot he fornt, it's too cold.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
no heat here............. except for the FL sun:eek:
Here's a pic of the smoothed firewall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts