Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to install new quarters on my '65 rust bucket. Going to tub the car. The normal tire will be a 10.5w tire, at least 29" tall (but want to make tubs big enough for up to 14x32 tire.)

I'd like to use the stock wheel openings and not cut up/ modify the new quarters. I realize this will be a pain to change tires- removing shocks and dropping axle.

I'm not sure how much a big tire will have to be moved inward to clear the front and rear of the quarter and how this will look. Ergo the request for pics.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Are you using a 29.5x10.5W tire? those actually measure 30.4 inches. Be careful you may have the rear of the car higher than you want so the tires don't hit the tubs. The pic of my car in my sig stock wheelwells and mini tubbed with a 30x13.5 M/T ET street. I can't get the car any lower in the rear without raising the tubs.

P.S. I have to let the air out of the tires to get them out from under the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow- you guys are fast!:wow:

Thanks guys, these pictures help alot. My 65 stock rusted quarters were replaced with a bondo artist's pop riveted vision of a '65 quarter panel, complete with flares made out of electrical conduit! I have no clue where a stock quarter ends up in 3-D space, until my new quarters come in.

6nova4- I was thinking of putting the tubs as high up into the car as possible. About even with the body accent line (where the peak molding would go.) The stock tubs on this car look too rusty to bother with a mini-tub.

Hamar- Do you remember the tire size on your old 63?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like a tall tire would hit the inner rocker panel (front), before it would hit the quarter panel (rear)? Does that sound right?

I was thinking of notching the inside of the rocker panel for clearance and boxing it in to keep water/ junk out of the rockers. That way the tires wouldn't need to be tucked in as far.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
When I minitubbed my 65 I moved the rear back 1" so I wouldn't have to modify the opening. I have a 30" tall tire in it and can slide my hand between the body and tire. Dave

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
yes put the tubs up as high as you can and also you need to raise the driveshaft tunnel so you can get it as low as possible.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I tubbed mine, years ago. Um, plenty of room for whatever tire I wanted. And I read all the posts about clearance with the forward rocker area, but really, I didnt see it on mine. Maybe cause my tubs go all the way up and around from the rocker. I may have trimmed a lil off the forward section of the rocker area, to be honest, I dont remember. I do know that from center of the hub forward I have 16" So that would be good for a 32" tire, scrubbing. And even more room up above. Some pics if yer interested. JR

Fitting in the 16ga steel

The steel tubs before bending

Welded in, ready for some paint..

And not done yet. Alot of fab work still. But you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Nice job. That took some time. I got my junk fired for the first time yesterday and will be posting pics after I get the bugs sorted out. Dave

·
Registered
67 Posts

Mickey Thompson 31 x 18.5
Never cut the opening and kept the back seat!

·
Premium Member
7,758 Posts
I've done a lot of research on pro streeting 62-67 Novas over the years and the biggest tire you can really fit comfortably on either a 1st or 2nd gen with stock wheel openings (after relocating the rear back about one inch to center the tire in the rear wheel opening) is a 29" diameter tire. A 29" tire fit's real nice in the stock wheel opening.

A 30" looks tight but still OK, especially if car is low. About as big as I would go for my taste with stock wheel openings.

With a 31" tire, the outside diameter of the tire tends to meet or exceed the diameter of the rear wheel opening even when centered (more on a 2nd gen but close on a 1st gen too). Looks real tight (too tight for me). With a 31" tire, I would tend to stretch the wheel opening at least an inch but that's just to give the tire some visual side clearance and make it look a little better IMO.

Although rbarker67 has one sharp-looking pro streeter there.;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again for all the great replies, guys!
I gotta say, all of these red cars are growing on me! Hardtops just look awesome in red paint and fat tires.

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Thanks again for all the great replies, guys!
I gotta say, all of these red cars are growing on me! Hardtops just look awesome in red paint and fat tires.
Red is an attention getter for sure:yes: But, it also draws attention to the fuzz!:eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts