Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a recovery tank mtd below the battery on a 62-67?

Thats where I'd like to put one but I cant find anything that fits in that small space. I currently use an aluminum can but I'd rather have a tank.
Let me know what you use.

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,668 Posts
I used to use a 1 liter tonic water bottle on my first nova (she used to overheat a lot in the So Cal climate) but it wasn't mounted under the battery.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Not under the battery, just next to it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
overflow tank

put mine inside fenderwell ran hose under battery thru fender well into bottom of plastic puke tank from summit $20 workin fine 2 years now

·
Registered
807 Posts
Anybody have a recovery tank mtd below the battery on a 62-67?

Thats where I'd like to put one but I cant find anything that fits in that small space. I currently use an aluminum can but I'd rather have a tank.
Let me know what you use.
I put mine under the washer bottle. I got it from a S-10 pick-up and it fits over the horn.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response guys.

blue66deucex2 would you happen to have a picture of your setup?

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
remember, when upgrading to a catch canister you also have to change to a new style radiator cap that will allow the water to be sucked back in when it cools down.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I thought they had to be the highest point in your coolonig system to let the steam out?
That is the full pressure systems. My wifes Dodge car is like this. The overflow can is pressurized. Not really an overflow, just enough air in the system to handle the expansion. The radiator cap is on the catch can.

The key to an overflow system, non pressurized bucket, is the tube must extend to close to the bottom of the catch can. To syphon the liquid back in when the radiator cools. The cap you need is a pressure valve on the way out, but needs almost no pressure to let it back in. Also make sure all the lines from the radiator to the bottle are air tight. Any air leaks and it doesn't syphon it back in.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Also make sure all the lines from the radiator to the bottle are air tight. Any air leaks and it doesn't syphon it back in.
I had this problem with mine. I use ferrule type connections on some hard brake line that I used to plumb the system and they leaked air/fluid like crazy because the connections didn't seal very well. I need to redo it to get the line completely sealed up to the overflow tank with some different style fittings.

I wanted to stick to 1/4" tubing, but I may have to get 3/8" so that parts are easier to scrounge up. :yes::rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts