Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 66 SS has a stock PG shifter with a detent plate modded for the TH350. In the summer the shifter is always hot to the touch. I zapped it with my infrared gun and it was 120F. Anybody have similar situation?

Note: Engine runs 175-185F. Trans temps are 145F on the cool side and 165F on the hot side. No headers, just original rams horns.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
i have the same shifter in my 66. a 327 with a 700r4 an also headers, but my shifter doesn't get hot. just wondering if your missing the rubber boot that closes off the bottom on the shifter from the underside of the car. that boot can be found at classic ind. i think i have some pictures of the install if you need.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the same shifter in my 66. a 327 with a 700r4 an also headers, but my shifter doesn't get hot. just wondering if your missing the rubber boot that closes off the bottom on the shifter from the underside of the car. that boot can be found at classic ind. i think i have some pictures of the install if you need.
Thanks, that boot is missing on my car. I'll need to get one and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
i just looked an i never took a picture of just the rubber boot. but here is a picture from under the nova when i was first fitting every thing together. you can see were the shifter leg comes thru the boot an connects to the linkage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts