Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a mild 283 in my 64 SS. I had a CSR mini starter on it and had a problem with heat soak Saturday night. My car is runs at around 10:1 compression and 12 degrees initial timing. It starts really quickly, when the starter isn't hot.....I have cc-14 Sanderson headers and 2.5" pipes, one of which is pretty close to the starter at the bend. I also had a heat wrap on the starter but not sure if it holds more heat out or holds more heat in. I have run the Powermaster XS Torque starter in our Camaro with full length headers with great results! has anyone else had this problem or and experience with a particularly great brand of starter? I plan to buy a Powermaster XS Torque for this application and use heat wrap on the pipes from the collectors back past the bell housing. Shouldn't this work? Ideas? Comments?

·
6,404 Posts
Can you clock the starter to get the solenoid away from the exhaust? I ran a small starter and ran a Ford solenoid to start the engine. When I went to another brand of header, the heat was further away from the starter. I continued to use the Ford solenoid but could have rewired to the starter solenoid and not had a problem. Instead of wrapping the starter, try making a heat sheild to keep the heat away from it. The heat wrap may not be letting air get at the starter for cooling it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just heat wrapping the pipe this time but not the starter. The Poweremaster will swivel around so I can get it better this time I hope.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Cheapest fix is a Ford soleniod.it works realy well to correct this problem.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Yeah, I just bypassed the solenoid on my mini starter and fender mounted a solenoid. My motorhome got me stuck at the gas station pump in barstow one summer coming from vegas. Had to wait 20 minutes for thinks to cool down. What a drag. JR

Kind of hard to see but its on the left hand side inner fender. Click the pic, it opens up a lil

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I recently installed a mild 283 in my 64 SS. I had a CSR mini starter on it and had a problem with heat soak Saturday night. My car is runs at around 10:1 compression and 12 degrees initial timing. It starts really quickly, when the starter isn't hot.....I have cc-14 Sanderson headers and 2.5" pipes, one of which is pretty close to the starter at the bend. I also had a heat wrap on the starter but not sure if it holds more heat out or holds more heat in. I have run the Powermaster XS Torque starter in our Camaro with full length headers with great results! has anyone else had this problem or and experience with a particularly great brand of starter? I plan to buy a Powermaster XS Torque for this application and use heat wrap on the pipes from the collectors back past the bell housing. Shouldn't this work? Ideas? Comments?
The solution:
http://www.novaresource.org/starter.htm

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Cheapest fix is a Ford soleniod.it works realy well to correct this problem.
While this WILL help, it's no gaurantee that it will fix your problem. I've been running a Ford solenoid since I got my car and I still deal with heat soaking (hard starting) from time to time.

·
Registered
482 Posts
While this WILL help, it's no gaurantee that it will fix your problem. I've been running a Ford solenoid since I got my car and I still deal with heat soaking (hard starting) from time to time.

+1 this is true, it really depends on how close the header is to the starter. plus a really good starter helps. and what chuck said.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts