Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna try and make it. Maybe I can convince my Dad to run his truck.

Anyone plan on going?

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NEVER FINISHED64 said:
I talked to Nick last night to get ready for Thursday. I'm leaving work now and am going to:
1) adjust valves again
2) Put some of the stop leak in the radiator for my leaking head bolt
3) Change oil
4) Add the WOT Nitros switch

Chuck
:eek: nitrous switch? I think you need some slicks first chuck.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Well, I'm always there, but I haven't driven the Nova for a few weeks since it's so boring to drive now. Maybe if it's not too hot, I'll slip the big jets in and see what breaks! I keep thinking about it, but the weather just isn't much fun when you have to wear a helmet and fire jacket. If I leave the bottle off, I can race in a T-shirt since it's so slow now.
Anyway, I'll be there with camera on the line even if I don't race.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just kidding on Nitrous switch.
Last night figured why my valves are making noise I think -:confused:
Most of my rockers were on upside down -the center pivot portion has a shoulder for the adjustment nut to seat and it was facing down with the adjustment nut sitting on the rounded portion of the pivot.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Well, the 200 h.p. jets are in and the timing is backed off to only 30 degrees(the lowest I've ever run) I made a couple of short blasts down the street, and it feels pretty good, but I just don't know about this 600 Edelbrock carb--It still has a major stumble; actually quit on the line the last time at the track!
And that was with the bottle on!! Oh well, I'll keep my fingers crossed--it's too hot to walk home from the track.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NEVER FINISHED64 said:
What did your Dad end up having to fix on his truck?
Well, he ended up changing the motor and trans. The trans lost 2nd gear, and the motor started rattling, but after he did the swap, it turned out the motor was fine, it just broke the electrodes off the spark plugs. the other trans was abused anyway, so we kinda expected that to go eventually. He just needs to remember it does'nt like 10LBS boost with pump gas.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NEVER FINISHED64 said:
So does that mean you have basicaly an extra iron block LS1 floating around looking for a home?
I think he sold it, but I'm not sure. I'll have to ask him.

I'm leaving work early, so we should be there before 5. I'll look for ya.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Well, the big jets didn't kill it, but it didn't go faster either. I think the bottle is near empty again-I forgot how many runs I had with the nitrous on. I only made the one run and it slowed to 7.56/87 mph. It felt ok-1.57 60ft, but it would not pull beyond 5000 rpm, it just labored along with no change in rpm. I should have short shifted it like I did with the little jets in place but.........
That was also just footbraking since my transbrake decided to quit. When I got back to the pits the bottle was cold too. Maybe get the bottle filled and give it one more try!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks for the great picture Mike.
I need slicks like Dave and every one has been saying.
60 ft times range from 1.99 to 2.28
1/8 mile at 8.24 at 87mph

Good news:
My oil pan leak is gone with good old silicone
Leaking head bolt solved - I think the problem was the overflow was restrictive causing too much pressure

When will the flyer be ready to join us?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Chuck i'm prayin' SOON !!! Dale's gonna help me big time with my perches this Saturday. i'm hopin' by this time next week ta have lots done...

soon Chuck Soon. yer ride looks great !!! :D

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check, sorry we did'nt see you. My dad ran his Truck, but it was'nt running very good, so he got pissed off, and wanted to leave. we saw you driving down arrow highway.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I'm there most Thursdays these days.
I'm usually out on the fence near the Finish line.
Along with Carburetor Carl, Chuck from BAF Fairings, and Larry Fator from Quicksilvers.
Are you one of those professional spectators? hehe. Larry called me Thursday about doing some work to the model of his 46; it needs a few upgrades to look more like the real thing I guess. Carl's a funny guy too! The older he gets, the faster he was!! Did he sell that 69 Camaro yet?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts