Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished up the installation of a SSBC disc conversion kit on my 66.
What I cant figure out is why the car now has positive camber and more toe in??? I havent had it to an alignment shop yet to have it checked out but its definately waaayyy off.

Anybody else have their alignment out of whack after doing the conversion?:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
mychevyii20 said:
On mine there also had to be a slight adjustment to the tie rod sleeve length to allow toe to be set correctly. The Disc brake spindles moved the steering arm ends in.
This is true. Mine was WAAAAY off. I took it to the alignment shop only for them to align it to their specs on their machine and it was still off. I have since re-adjusted my alignment by eye and so far it is the best that it has been since I rebuilt the front end and did the disc brake swap. I will take it in to the alignment shop once I get it close only to do minor tweaking to get baseline measurements.

Good luck.
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Get the alignment set, camber, caster and toe and if there is a toe problem, find out how much. Depending on various tolerance and assembly stack ups some cars adjust just fine after the conversion, others don't. If the toe will not adjust far enough and has too much toe in, the stock tie rods are probably bottoming out. The tie rod length may need to be shortened. L/R Inner/Outer, equal amounts. Cutting threads off the end. Be aware some shops wont touch shortening a tie rod, even the minimal amount that may be needed.

I eventually went to a CPP mini sub frame and Church Boys Rack and Pinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts