Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to see if anybody has cut there oil dipstick tube to length. I have a deep sump 8.5" oil pan and still can't get a reading on the dipstick.

I took out the dipstick tube, stuck the dipstick in the hole, and it appeared to me that dipstick needed to go further into the hole than the dipstick tube was allowing, and I then got oil on my dipstick.:D

So has anybody cut there dipstick tube to length, anything to look out for other than cutting the dipstick tube to short, allowing dipstick to go to far in the hole.

Thanks,

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the stick is registered to read full at 5qts capacity with the tube & stick in the lengths made... if you have a factory tube & stick install 'em and fill it to whatever level you want... some guys with larger capacity pans run less quarts to get oil away from counterweights... but they're still running at least 5 qts... even in a 7qt pan...

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically the reason I want to cut my dipstick tube is because my dipstick is too short, I think because I can't get a reading to save my life.

This is what I was thinking. My pan is 8.5 deep, a stock pan is maybe 7" deep that means the difference would be atleast a 1" in the length of the dipstick itself. So if I make the tube shorter i can stick the dipstick in further.

I have a cheap china made dipstick tube, and dipstick. I don't think this is my problem though.

I am running 6qts of oil total.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Where would I get a longer dipstick.

I actually just dropped the pan to cut a bigger hole in the windage tray. The original hole where the dipstick goes into is no bigger than a sharpie pen cap which was a pain to get the dipstick in the right spot. So I cut a nice big square in the windage tray so I can read my dipstick.

Now the next problem is that I feel my dipstick is too short. What I was thinking is that I would cut the dipstick tube in increments of maybe 1/2" at a time and re check.

But if I bought a longer dipstick I would have to trim the dipstick itself too right, thats one way also.

Any ideas on where I would get a longer dipstick?
uh any auto parts store duh

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
. What I was thinking is that I would cut the dipstick tube in increments of maybe 1/2" at a time and re check.QUOTE]

Your plan should work.

Make sure the tube is inserted fully.

When you shorten the tube in very small increments with 6 quarts of oil in the pan, you will eventually get a reading on the dipstick.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Do you have the lower dipstick tube in your block? That helps direct the dipstick in the right direction and through your windage tray. Different cars have different length dipsticks. Go t oa boneyard and get one for a chect van. they're like three feet long. Mark it and cut it. Dave

·
Registered
595 Posts
You probably have a passenger side dipstick. I have seen this problem several times and the dipstick is probably about and inch too short. The problem is the tubes are made for the oil pan mounted dipstick and yours is in the block which has an installed height of an inch higher.
PROPER installation is to put the designed amount of oil in the pan. Be sure not to add the quart that should be in the filter. Trim the tube until the oil level reads full on your stick.
It takes about two extra quarts to get a near full reading with your current set up and that will cause problems.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cut my tube down to read full with my aftermarket pan, never any issues and works fine!!!:yes:
Glad it worked out for you. Seems like it should work the same.

Do you have the lower dipstick tube in your block? That helps direct the dipstick in the right direction and through your windage tray. Different cars have different length dipsticks. Go t oa boneyard and get one for a chect van. they're like three feet long. Mark it and cut it. Dave
I have the lower dipstick tube in my block, yes. Let's see what the local shop has and how much for dipsticks, just curious.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
6,396 Posts
I cut both the tube and the dipstick on the 65 sedan I had. Total dipstick tube was around 6".
You could just get a longer dipstick and modify it. If you have determined how much oil you want in it by volume then put in 1 quart less and insert a longer dipstick. Mark your dipstick. you could file a V notch on the side(s) or drill a small hole at that spot. Now add a quart and mark that location. Trim the excess lenght and V the end to make insertion easrier. You now have a modified dipstick with full and 1 quart less mark.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts