Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nova is running very poorly from idle to 2500 rpms [missing].It starts great.I have a 327 that was working good. Ive installed new msd ditributor[no vac advance],wires,coil,6al box.Also edelbrock 600cfm carb and airgap.My plugs are new, high test gas,12 degrees advance. How do I know if the advance in the distributor is right?

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
So it started to run bad and you replaced all these parts trying to fix it? Or you have installed all these parts recently and the car ran good but now has started to run bad? RM

I

·
0 Posts
It isn't a "tuning" issue, it is a parts issue, those parts DON'T work in a lower rpm environment.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
chevynuts88 said:
My nova is running very poorly from idle to 2500 rpms [missing].It starts great.I have a 327 that was working good. Ive installed new msd ditributor[no vac advance],wires,coil,6al box.Also edelbrock 600cfm carb and airgap.My plugs are new, high test gas,12 degrees advance. How do I know if the advance in the distributor is right?
Would you not, since you have no vac advance, need way more intial timing (something in the order of 20 or so) to make up for the lack of no vacuum advance?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
As mentioned if you're not going to use vaccuum advance you should set your initial to 20-24* btdc. Check to see the mechanical advance starts in about 200 rpm above your idle rpm and should be fully advanced somewhere between 2500-3000 rpm. If you have a degreed balancer or timing tape this is easily done, if not a set back timing light will get you close.
For starters try setting the mechanical advance to max out at 36* somewhere in the rpm range I mentioned before.
This should give get your timing in the ballpark and further tuning may involve the carb.
A vaccuum advance would be a benefit for a street driven car; better fuel economy, probably run cooler and start/crank over easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts