Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the possibility of doing a 5 speed swap. A T56 is one of the more popular manuals to use behind an LS1, and for good reason, but it seems like the benefits of the TKO outweigh those of the T56. I like that the TKO incorporates both the mechanical and electronic speedo hookups and has an option to place the shifter in the original spot (for a 63 Nova anyway).

Looking for anyone that has done this swap in a 62-67. What do you think of it? Any drawbacks? Any installation pics? Any tips?

Thanks!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Bump to the top for you,
I'm headed that way with my 71 as I just finished a 12 bolt build with 3.73's, reportedly the TKO 600 has a good low 2.87 first gear, but with the 3.73's rolling out in first would be awesome,
That Keisler SS 700 mythical unicorn trans might be cool if a guy could actually get one, and if it wasnt a propriety one off trans, so I'm sticking to the Tko 600 even though the floor pan has to be massaged a little.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
floor mods will be needed regardless of T56 or the TKO. i have a TKO but a dinosaur engine :D not one a them thar MODERN thangs ;)

toss a PM to David_H if you'd like him to give his opinions... i believe he's looking into swapping to a T56. he's running an LS based engine.

personally i like my TKO, never ran a T56 but i'd imagine it's quite similar in shift feel characteristics, patten would be different and one more gear... but like i said i've never ran one...

is this what you're asking? differences in tranny's? or difficulty with installation? the installation isn't really all that different than with a std ol'school SBC. some parts are different yeah but for the most part it's still all the same work... one important matter is dialing in the runout of the bell housing. Tremec recommends/insists the spec is .005 or less. you'll use a dial indicator and adjustable dowels (if needed) to "zero in" the spec. i'm unsure if this is needed with an LS bell housing as they're designed for the Tremecs. but a Mcleod, Lakewood, GM(Muncie style) etc. it's Imperative you get it within specs or front bearing/mainshaft bearing damage can occur...

for the conversion i think with the LS engine you'll really want to go the hydraulic route for the clutch actuation... the old school engine guys can get away with the mechanical linkage a lot easier. as far as the change over though it's still gonna be just pulling the engine/trans and for the most part bolting it in... all except the floor mods. there's a little pain in that but that's how it goes.

hope i helped ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Haven't done a TKO in a first Gen, but just did one in a 70 Chevy truck. Very straight forward. Was cool too was used original bell housing and clutch linkage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts