Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leak in the driver cowl area....it was patched many moons ago....with a fiberglass patch, from underneath.

My question, Is there a way to get at the inside of the cowl without cutting the cowl, possible removing the drivers fender....or maybe I should ask the best way and area to cut into the cowl.....I have not seen any replacment panels. I have some rust in the drivers corner, when I look in the vents(cowl)...not sure what you would call them....anyway any suggestions are welcomed...I really dont want to cut the cowl.

I thought about spraying bed linner from underneath, but if there is a rust issue from topside that wont fix it....:confused:

thanks,

Richard

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Cowl area

Are you talking about this area:

My car also has some rust in this area. I think it comes from when GM put some sort of insulation or filler in there and it trapped moisture and started to rust over the years. I guess I'm going to have to find a donor car and see if I can cut that whole corner out to replace it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
NO, sorry...I did not explain this better....I'm talking about the area below the wiper blades,(looks like a grill) but inside the panel, inside the top of the cowl panel(if i'm calling it right):confused:

The area that collects leaves and debris, then clogs the drain hole and starts to rust out....yeah, that's the area.LOL:D

I know it will have to be cut to access, but was hoping someone has done this and can give some pointers of the best way to tackle the job.

Richard

P.S. But I think I have to do that too.....LOL...That I can patch with metal, but I just dont want to cut the cowl area.....no one will see the lower area.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Glad i'm not the only one with this problem. My car leaks under the dash from beneath the cowl. I pretty sure that at some time ( before I owned it) it was parked under a tree for some period of time. When I get the car sanded down (hopefully this winter), I was going to see how tough it is to drill the spot welds and peel the cowl off. Looks like a big job though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I made my cowl removable (like 1st gen camaro ) by cutting off cowl , then cutting off ends and reattaching them . Then made center section reattach by slipping under windshield rubber in rear and screws at the front.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
nice job on that cowl. By any chance do have any under construction pics? So we might see under the cowl. It looks very clever and would like to see more. PLEEEEEEAAAASE!:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts