Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there running a '62-'67 in Stock Eliminator? Need to know what method used to re-locate rear springs inboard, what size tire you can get under there.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Um, in Stock classes you can't go changing the suspension around. You might want to read your rule book. Most Stock classes use a 30x9 slick as a maximum, but I doubt that'll fit in a 2nd gen's rear wheel wells.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um, in Stock classes you can't go changing the suspension around. You might want to read your rule book. Most Stock classes use a 30x9 slick as a maximum, but I doubt that'll fit in a 2nd gen's rear wheel wells.
Nothing in the NHRA rule book that sez you can't relocate the rear leaf springs inboard....that I've found. A 9" tire will fit the wheelwell IF the springs can be moved. Book also sez you can trim a maximum of 1" from front or rear wheel opening to clear a taller tire. I have new set of 29x9's....If I can squeeze them under there.... Figured a Stocker vet would know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dan:

Like someone said earlier, classracer.com is the place to look. One thing I can tell you is plan on using the Hoosier 9x30 radial slick that has the true 29.9 dia. I was at the Sportnationals at Fontana a few weeks ago, and dam near every stocker was running that tire.

Just like this board, the people over there are super helpfull. I posted a thread called "help the superstock rookie" and they came in force to answer all my questions.

Chuck

·
Registered
457 Posts
No 66-67 nova stocker is running a 9-30-15 slick. The earlier novas run a different number eliminator. All the chevelles, 68072 novas and camaros have the taller slicks.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
There is NO WAY that a 9x30 slick will fit a 1st Gen without mini tub and, or moving the frame and springs inboard. I did it on my 65 and also moved the rear back 1". And I don't have to whack the front of the well at all. I'm pretty sure in Stock that you can only do bolt on traction aids. No welding allowed. I saw a 64 at Indy a couple years back running in a slow stock class with a straight six in it. I'm pretty sure he was running low 15's. Had small slicks on it with all lightweight bdisc brakes and all. It had more tricks on it than my car. It was cool. Good luck, and get your wallet out. dave

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info/link guys. Lots of friendly/helpful people on there. Oh, & according to some of the posters, you CAN get a 9x30 under one, legally for Stock Eliminator!! :yes: :eek:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This should be interesting. Please post some pics when done.
Didn't say it would be easy...just that it could be done. Just probing right now. Don't like all the restrictive rules in Stock, but do like the stock suspension/small tire concept. I have a '66 Chevy II and a '69 Chevelle and the latter would seem to be a better option in some ways.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What are the combinations you are looking at running, that will help to determine alot.
Don't really have anything definite in mind. Really just wanted to look at what it would take to prep a car. Tired of the big tire/tube chassis thing & looking for a new direction.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I've always likes the Stock eliminator class. Before I got the 65 I built a 69 Chevelle. Set it up like a stocker. 9x30 tire, 4.56 gear, 454 9-1 engine, and a bolt on rear control arm locator. Car ran 11.60's yanking the tires a foot in the air with a 1.51 60ft time. It was a ball. Then I got the dragster and 65. It was fun while it lasted. Dave

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Didn't say it would be easy...just that it could be done. Just probing right now. Don't like all the restrictive rules in Stock, but do like the stock suspension/small tire concept. I have a '66 Chevy II and a '69 Chevelle and the latter would seem to be a better option in some ways.
I hope you have a lot of money....If not, you will waste a lot for an uncompetitive car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
An update. The springs definitely can NOT be relocated in Stock Class. You CAN put a 9"x29" tire under a stock wheelwell with or without moving the springs. Had my 9x29's (w/a 10" wheel & 5.5"backspacing) under my car ('66 HT) this past weekend & I can tell you they are close! That was with the leaf springs completely off the car.

Would like to see more input on relocating the springs inboard. Still not sure how high the rear of the car will be with CalTracks & split mono's & a tire that tall.

Thanks for all the help, guys, & thanks thmpsn70 for the link! :yes:

BTW, what do you guys think of running an 8" tire with the CalTracks?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've always likes the Stock eliminator class. Before I got the 65 I built a 69 Chevelle. Set it up like a stocker. 9x30 tire, 4.56 gear, 454 9-1 engine, and a bolt on rear control arm locator. Car ran 11.60's yanking the tires a foot in the air with a 1.51 60ft time. It was a ball. Then I got the dragster and 65. It was fun while it lasted. Dave
Yeah Dave, the Chevelle is ready to go as soon as I get the motor back from freshening. Only have a 355" SBC. Runs 7.30's eighth mile. Easy car to race.

BTW, a 135" RED? Love to see a pic. Raced open cockpit cars most of my life (Dragsters, Altereds, Roadsters).

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Let's see if this works. Dave
This is from this year. We put a carb on it.

This is from last year with the injector.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let's see if this works. Dave
This is from this year. We put a carb on it.

This is from last year with the injector.
Thanks for the pic. Built one the same WB once upon a time. When I get time I'll try to download a pic. Real easy car to race at the stripe!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Stockers

You're right you can run a 29.-29.5x9.0 on the stocker. Like some others suggested go to classracer.com and talk to Jim or Joe Schaecter. They live in the Moline Il area. They run I believe a 66 four speed car. They'll help you out with what can legally be done.

Rick Ryan
NHRA Stock Eliminator 71 Nova G-H/S

1 - 19 of 19 Posts