Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone has taken the plunge and is using a Pulse Width Modulation fuel pump controller. I have my Rick's tank in and had the 5th Gen Camaro pump set up to use the "FlowWorx" PWM module (internal regulator set for 85psi). I really like the idea of the pump not seeing a 100% duty cycle for both life and noise reduction, not to mention lessening the burden on the charging system. Plus you don't need an additional pressure regulator as the controller will adjust the "on/off" time to maintian a constant preset pressure. I know the General (GM) uses this technology. Not sure if anyone might have figured out any OEM components for this device. I like using OEM where possible for the reliability factor. Stories? Comments?

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
67Church has the vaporwox one and 66Badboy has a different one,Procomp maybe

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has taken the plunge and is using a Pulse Width Modulation fuel pump controller. I have my Rick's tank in and had the 5th Gen Camaro pump set up to use the "FlowWorx" PWM module (internal regulator set for 85psi). I really like the idea of the pump not seeing a 100% duty cycle for both life and noise reduction, not to mention lessening the burden on the charging system. Plus you don't need an additional pressure regulator as the controller will adjust the "on/off" time to maintian a constant preset pressure. I know the General (GM) uses this technology. Not sure if anyone might have figured out any OEM components for this device. I like using OEM where possible for the reliability factor. Stories? Comments?
What are you wanting to know, or what is your question? You can run the 2010 camaro pump without the module or an external regulator, but the module is best for longevity of the pump, and vent issues.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Basically just curious about anyone's first hand experience with the FloWorxs unit. I understand the operation, more interested in if there have been any reliability issues. Kind of a moot point because I have already committed to this choice. Just want to be aware of any pitfalls.
Thanks! TD

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
I cannot comment too much yet on the long term longevity of the Professional Products Fuel On Demand PWM that I am using. I have 800 miles on the car so far, but its been totally fine. What I liked about it was the price (I picked mine up for $285 on sale) and the ease of adjusting things. Just connect the laptop and you are in. It lets you monitor the pressure, duty cycle, and amp draw as well. It can be used for a returnless or return style system at whatever pressure range you want. If you are using the typical EFI setup, you don't need to connect the laptop. It uses a magnet swipe to shift between modes.

The other thing to remember for LS/5th gen Camaro pump setups is if you deduct the cost of the 58psi mechanical regulator setup that you won't need, it makes a PWM system a little bit more affordable.

There was also a guy on LS1tech that was going to try to use an OEM 2010 fuel pump control module on his swap. He bought some used fpcms for a great price. But I'm not sure how that will work, because I think you need the correct PCM to assist in controlling it as well.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input. That is exactly the info I was looking for. The set up is for an LS and will be returnless. Already figured in that I won't need an additional regulator too. From your thread I think I saw that to program for the correct fuel pressure I will need to do that via laptop. I also noticed that your set up does not use a MAP connection, right? Just monitors fuel pressure? For anyone else reading I believe your unit is from Professional Products. I kind of expected the OEM set up to be tied to the ECM somehow.
My main concern is that I don't want to get stuck on the road somewhere and not have access to a replacement in the event of a failure. That was my reason for searching an OEM soultion.

At this point just need to pick between FlowWorx and Professional Products, hmmmmm:turn:

I cannot comment too much yet on the long term longevity of the PWM that I am using. I have 800 miles on the car so far, but its been totally fine. What I liked about it was the price (I picked mine up for $285 on sale) .and the ease of adjusting things. Just connect the laptop and you are in. It lets you monitor the pressure, duty cycle, and amp draw as well. It can be used for a returnless or return style system at whatever pressure range you want. If you are using the typical EFI setup, you don't need to connect the laptop. It uses a magnet swipe to shift between modes.

The other thing to remember for LS/5th gen Camaro pump setups is if you deduct the cost of the 58psi mechanical regulator setup that you won't need, it makes a PWM system a little bit more affordable.

There was also a guy on LS1tech that was going to try to use an OEM 2010 fuel pump control module on his swap. He bought some used fpcms for a great price. But I'm not sure how that will work, because I think you need the correct PCM to assist in controlling it as well.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Chuck. I can see from your products that quality is at the top of the list for you so that tells me that you went with what you see as a quality product. Helps with my decision!

BTW, I had the pleasure of meeting one of your customers, TomM. I guess I must have been hiding under a rock when I started my build (been out of the Nova world for a while).... Your stuff is awesome! Definitely will get some thought on the next build! Darn Tom has given me the wagon bug!!:yes:

TD

Yes I have the vapor works set up. As with Bari I do not have enough miles to say....to this point it has given us no issues.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You will not have any issues with the Floworx set up. I know Carl and he is extremely knowledgable and other than dealing with occasional teething issues from installations outside his control, I am not aware of any issues with his product. His Vaporworx setup sold by Ricks has become there most popular fuel tank setup over Bosch or Aeromotive constant demand pumps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What are you wanting to know, or what is your question? You can run the 2010 camaro pump without the module or an external regulator, but the module is best for longevity of the pump, and vent issues.
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but can you elaborate on this? I am looking to do a budget LS swap on my 1968 Camaro, and saw your post. Would there be a way to use the common vette filter/reg and make return fuel line run back into the bucket? Does that even make sense to do that since it's internally regulated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ryan, from our email exchange earlier today:

When the 5th-gen module is converted using the 4th-gen pressure regulator no additional external filters, regulators, return lines, etc. are needed. Just a single line to the engine. This conversion is significantly less expensive than a C5 filter/regulator, especially when the cost of fittings and hoses are added in. This is about as close as a mechanical "returnless" system can be. PWM is the only true returnless system.

There are instructions on how to make this changeover in the Documentation section on the vaporworx.com website. It's a five minute job at most. http://vaporworx.com/documents/G8-ZL1 Mechanical Kit Instructions.pdf

The correct sealed Delphi connector with leads for the pump and fuel level sensor is also available.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts