Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is painted with a House of Kolor designer pearl paint which I just found has been discontinued. When I get the money I'm going to need some repair work done on the hood. Will one of those paint matching computers be able to match a "designer" pearl paint like mine or should I try to find a couple quarts of paint now and save them until I can afford the repair work? How long will an unopened quart of paint last if stored properly?

Thanks, John.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
My car is painted with a House of Kolor designer pearl paint which I just found has been discontinued. When I get the money I'm going to need some repair work done on the hood. Will one of those paint matching computers be able to match a "designer" pearl paint like mine or should I try to find a couple quarts of paint now and save them until I can afford the repair work? How long will an unopened quart of paint last if stored properly?

Thanks, John.
Buy the paint NOW before its gone, it will last for for many years. I just opened a can that was 13 years old and it was fine.

Color matching (especially for pearl) can be hit and miss and costs extra on top of the paint too.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Buy the paint NOW before its gone, it will last for for many years. I just opened a can that was 13 years old and it was fine.

Color matching (especially for pearl) can be hit and miss and costs extra on top of the paint too.
Yeah, the stuff can stay on the shelf for years. Umm, what I do, I store them upside down. Do it with all my wood finishing products too. Then when it comes time to open it up there is no skin, wont be with the 2k car products anyway. But on some of the other products if a skin forms its at the bottom of the can. Then I decant it off into a new can and go forward. JR

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Pearl

If thats 3 stage pearl you could have a difficult time even if you have the original paint. First of all there is always variations on the same color code due to the fact that the colors are made in a large batch. The next batch after your color was made was not exactly the same as the one before it. This is true with brand new cars. There are several other factors that can make the final finish look different. One is the number of pearl coats. The way to match the color is to first apply the base color to a piece of sheetmetal or paint shops sell a "card" that is made for this. After the base color dries apply one coat of pearl to the entire panel. After the first pearl coat dries tape off the top third of the panel and spray a second coat to the remaining two thirds. After the second coat of pearl dries tape off the second third of the panel and spray the third coat of pearl. Remove all the tape and clear the entire panel. This will give you three differnt pearl coats to determine how many coats of pearl to apply. Plan on blending the color coat and pearl coat a least 20'' to get the best result. If it sounds difficult, it is. You can also have problems with the base color, air presure, air temperature, metalic flip, modeling, tiger stripes, etc , etc. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts