Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one I work at got the axe on the 20th. It's been a GM store since 1960. It started in 1956 as with Ford and changed to GM four years later. My boss is the only son of the man who started it way back when.

Sad times for GM of Canada when over a third of the stores will be closed. 28 years for me in GM parts. I can't imagine doing anything else.

·
13,975 Posts
Sorry to hear your dealership will be closing, Carl. I know there are dealerships in SW B.C. that will be closing, but they're keeping it real quiet. We're only hearing from the ones that are being spared. The GM dealership in Mission B.C. closed about 5 years ago and I believe Mussalem Motors in Haney also closed. The Chevrolet and Pontiac dealerships in Abbotsford amalgamated last year, so it'll probably just continue on as a Chevrolet store. I agree, sad times for GM.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
Carl, sorry to here about your dealership getting the axe. Here in southern Ontario, dealers like yours that have been loyal GM dealerships are also getting hit. These places have been in business for generations, being passed down from father to son. Unfortunately some have to be let go in order to survive. I hope this trend is short lived for everyones sake. :(

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the life of me I can't figure out how closing us saves them money. There is no such thing as a freebie from GM. Every showroom poster, every special tool, all sales brochures, parts cataloguing etc is billed to us.

Our warranty labour rate is about 1/2 the Winnipeg rate. That means if we do an intake gasket on warranty and Winnipeg does the same job on warranty, GM pays us half what they pay the city dealer. To me that doesn't add up.

There's a lot more about it that is not adding up.

Things sure will have to change in head office for them to survive.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Dealers

There was an article in the Edmonton Journal this week about the fate of a long time established GM dealer in Ponoka, Alberta being closed.. Ponoka is south of Edmonton, half way to Red Deer, and serviced a large rural farming community. I have heard that Lakewood GM in south Edmonton may also be affected.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Calgary's Stampede GMC Pontiac Buick is among the car dealerships axed by General Motors of Canada Ltd.

"Stampede GMC, after October 2010, will not be continuing with GM based on the in-formation we have now," Glen Bridarolli, the dealership's general manager, confirmed in an interview.

·
Registered
60 Posts
gm dealerships

Carl: did the parts thing myself way back from 81-93 good job just not much money unless you are able to move up to manager here in th niagara area we will be going from 10 dealers down to 3 the last one i was with is one slated for closure it absolutely amazes me how gm was able to dictate to dealers that they have to spend money to upgrade their dealerships and now get the shaft gm has no idea what they are doing they can do all the restructuring they want but if no one buys a car it's all for nothing i can say the only gm car i'll ever own from now on will be at least 40 years old it sure was an eye opener to alot of people when they saw the benifits the gm workers were getting and had to give up even working in a dealership i had no idea what you were supporting when you purchased a new car anyways hope you can find something else to move on to
Glenn

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
My buddy works at one in Toronto that will be closing the doors.:(

West York Chevrolet.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
i've heard gold key pontiac in langley and flag chev/olds in surrey will get the boot.too bad,i've had dealings with both and they've been good.
leftcoast carl.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
We're loosing both GM and Chev near me in Newmarket, one is a brand new 9 million dollar building too!:(

·
Registered
78 Posts
That GM dealer in Ponoka, alberta ( Badry Sales and Service Ltd. in 1967) is the dealer that orgional sold my 67 hard top. Car was built in Oshawa and as far as i can tell been in alberta ever since.

Anyways, i was sad to hear a part of history like that getting the axe.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Victoria GM is gone. Used to be Cornell GM...closed down about 3 weeks ago

Pierre
Hope they didn't let the door hit them in the *** on the way out... I had nothing but horrible service from them.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
You should come down to south western ontario

1 in strathroy closed
1 in Sarnia closed
1 in windsor closed
2 In london closeds
1 in lucan closed
1 in seaforth closed
1 in goderich closed

there are a total of 9 or 10 being closed within a 2 hour drive of my house.

i live in a small town but we have one of the biggest full line GM dealers in Canada Huron Motor Products. Its not being closed but they have been buying up all the stock from the closing dealer

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
22 days left for us. Not looking forward to D day:(

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
Carl

It is on the news here, that a group of GM dealerships in the Hamilton/Niagara region in Ontario are suing GM for breech of contract. I hope that they win. Anyone out your way doing this?

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nobody here that I know of. One of the dealerships that was cut promptly switched to an import outlet, I think Hyundai?

We heard about the group that is suing. My boss mentioned it to me the other day.

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
Are you guys switching over to another brand or just closing? Hang in Carl. That old saying that when one door closes another opens is so true. We never find better because we're to comfortable where we are. Good luck. :D

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks very much. We are hoping to continue on along the same lines as we were, minus the sign of course and we are not allowed to display new vehicles for sale, even though we hope to sell some which we will purchase from other dealerships. Same for the GM parts. Service bays as always too.

As you say, we have no idea. There could be another door opening for us right around the corner. It sucks though. I'm over 24 years there, and another 5 previous as a Pontiac Buick GMC parts manager. I've been doing GM parts 29 years, over half my life!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I believe Redwater, AB is losing thier dealership. My fathers friend has owns that dealership for sometime and they recently just built a new building as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts