Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to build a 72 Nova 350/Auto stocker any one else running in that class. I'm looking for any input I can get. Ed

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
My buddy runs several stock classes with a 350 Camaro and I have several other friends who run CM and Stock. I have an almost done stocker in the shop which was going to be a Top/Stock car, it's a 72 Nova too. What info are you looking for? RM

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I was going to use a 385hp 350 fast burn motor for mine with a 350 Turbo or similiar type 3 speed GM trans. The car would have to run 9.50s at 3000 lbs to be competitive this year. Bo Kenney was ran 9.51 in T/S last W/E at Rockingham. I don't know anyone who is going to tell you what is in their legal motor if it runs well. Do you think Anderson shares with Jenkins and WJ? That is the challenge of it all. Lets just say the blocks are blocks basically but the speed is in the heads, cam, converter, trans, gear and tire combos. You may think it's a entry level low cost class, but it isn't easy or cheap anyway........LOL. There are a couple others here who run the class, lets see what they have to say.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm running a '73 as a stocker. IHRA E/PS.
350 Q-jet,Turbo 350, 8 1/2 rear w/4.88 gears.
Car would be an NHRA I/SA.

Bobby Z.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
I don't want to rain on your parade but you should maybe do a little more research before diving into this pool. I don't know much about IHRA but I do have some experience with NHRA, and if thats what you're going to run be aware that choosing the right body, motor, trans combo is not something to be approached without intense research. The sophistication of a world class stock eliminator motor is as out there as it gets. You are working within a set of rules that leave absolutly no margin, but that being said, I don't think there is more fun and satisfaction to be had than running stock eliminator. Finding out if there are cars running successfully with your proposed combo might be a good place to start, but whatever, good luck.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I was going to use a 385hp 350 fast burn motor for mine
Now I'm confused... I thought a '72 Nova "stock class" car had to use 993 or 487 heads, cast iron Q-jet intake, etc... fast burn doesn't really fit a "stocker" does it?

·
Registered
445 Posts
John65ss said:
Now I'm confused... I thought a '72 Nova "stock class" car had to use 993 or 487 heads, cast iron Q-jet intake, etc... fast burn doesn't really fit a "stocker" does it?
I am confused and have been confused about that as well. I know some of you guys that run this class may think, " just go read the rule book, or surf the internet!" There are still questions.

say you have a 71 nova, are you only able to run a motor and trans that the factory installed for that year? or can you drop in a 454 and a 700r4?

also, I thought I read that you can use GM crate motors, like the 502. Is this correct?

can anyone sum it up in laymens terms?:D

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
If you are talking stock eliminator, I believe you can run any engine that was available for the car in that particular year. You have to use production heads, intake, carburator, etc. for that particular engine for that particular year. You can't stick a fast burn 383 engine in it and run stock eliminator.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
You are correct to run stock eliminator the fast burn is illegal. However in Top/Stock it is legal. Top/Stock has it's own rules and basically allows for many things that stock doesn't. Top/Stock was created to resemble the old stock suspension pro stocks of the late 60s. Ported heads, better cams, pistons, and stuff are allowed. It was a super cool class that just didn't click for IHRA and now it is an invatation only class that doesn't excite me so the car isn't done due to that. Hope that clears that up for you. RM

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
If that particular 383 engine is an approved engine, he could race it in IHRA's crate motor class. But if it isn't, he has to use whatever engine was available in his car at the time. Dave

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't want to rain on your parade but you should maybe do a little more research before diving into this pool. I don't know much about IHRA but I do have some experience with NHRA, and if thats what you're going to run be aware that choosing the right body, motor, trans combo is not something to be approached without intense research. The sophistication of a world class stock eliminator motor is as out there as it gets. You are working within a set of rules that leave absolutly no margin, but that being said, I don't think there is more fun and satisfaction to be had than running stock eliminator. Finding out if there are cars running successfully with your proposed combo might be a good place to start, but whatever, good luck.
Fatcat is definatly correct. Stock eliminator is a dedicated type of racing. In my 327 I have $15,000 in the motor alone and yes it conforms to the NHRA rules on Stock. The challenge of the class is how fast you can go with staying within the rules. Also to be able to run a National event. I love the class and wouldn't race anything else. The nice thing about a stocker is that you can still run brackets at your local track if you want. The only downside to this is that a competetive stocker (al least most stocker racers I know) uses special low tension back cut piston rings that will make more horsepower that a convention race ring but will not live as long as a conventional ring. Its like anything. There is pros and cons to any class that you run. If its what you want to do then go out and have some fun. IHRA does allow crate motor classes in their stock class where NHRA doesnot. The bad thing about running a crate motor class is that you can only run stock in IHRA. At least with a normal combination you can run both. On a side note, RPOZ28, a friend of mine is changing combinations and has an engine for sale. It is a good competitive motor with only about 65 runs on it and has run 8 tenths under th NHRA index. It is out of a 68 Camaro 350-295 rated horsepower. You can claim your car as a 70 Nova and only with an intake change (casting number) would be completely legal for you car. It would be a "F,G,H" car. I think he wants $5500 for it. Can't build one for that.
http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/classification/index.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts