Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i live in houston and its too hot to enjoy the car so i want to put ac in it.

its a 63 2 door with the original 194 straight six, with only 51,000 original miles.

im sure this has been discussed before, but im kind of slow at searching.

whats the best, vintage air, classic air or????

any and all tips and advice are appreciated.

thanks

mike

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,996 Posts
The guy I sold my 63 to put Vintage Air in it and it was a very clean install. Dad has it in his 68 with an inline six. If you are not using the small original points distributor you have to be sure and get compressor brackets that clear your HEI. So far Dad has been unsuccessful figuring out a way to add a power steering pump to his current configuration so for now he is stuff with manual steering.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
The guy I sold my 63 to put Vintage Air in it and it was a very clean install. Dad has it in his 68 with an inline six. If you are not using the small original points distributor you have to be sure and get compressor brackets that clear your HEI. So far Dad has been unsuccessful figuring out a way to add a power steering pump to his current configuration so for now he is stuff with manual steering.
The factory did it like this. Here is the configuration with and without AC.

Reactions: BLYOTH

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Hi there JD , how's your "Caddy" / Nova doing …..

Bruce - - my 73 (parts car) has - almost - that system , on the stock 250 engine . except, in place
of the a/c , the factory "smog - pump" is mounted there. (then, in 73 250ci = 100 hp . . . . with the
smog & maybe different pistons (who knew) .
Anyway ; P/S & alt mounted on the left side . . . . smog-pump , mounted high on the right side
(or , could be an a/c compressor) .

jim

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Micky123 . . . . . .
here is a "six-cylinder a/c mount" , too add an a/c compressor onto a chevy six motor.

and , picture showing this a/c mount installed on SNS member "bigallis1 - 69 Nova 250 I-6 engine"

Micky . . . . . these pictures & info = are found in this post :

just more info . . . . . hope this may help, you .
and, "bigallis . . Jim " , did have complete A/C installed onto his 69 . He also has other pictures ..
like his dash a/c vents & others . Jim H. is still an active 'SNS member' , on here . . . .

later, jim p.

ps . - my 69 Nova has A/C . . . but, is 'factory install a/c " , which has different a/c comp mounting.
Also , you can "search under "onecarnut" (Lou's 68 Nova - 250 - with add-on a/c (very nice install).
onecarnut - - also an 'current active member' . . . Both, very helpful & Nice guys .

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Mike . . . . Keep asking your question . . . . (about Vintage Air , mounted in a 63) .
Because , the installing "after-market a/c (V-A) , would still be the same, even for a V-8 car (for using
Vintage Air) ; just using a different a/c compressor (between 6 motor & V8 motor) .. . . . other parts
of the install , would 'remain the same' .

jim

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Tremendous. I see now the possible issue with getting a bigger distributor.
True , can - not use a "HEI type dist" . . . . caps too big . On my car . . . just had the old - points type distributor (stock) . . . . . BUT, I installed the "Pertronix Ignitior" # 1162A up-grade kit , back in
June 1996 (and, have never touched it since). ( ( granted . . . they may be made different , now . ) .

Also, read through the above posted 'link' . . . . you may need other up-grades . . . . for example :
bigallis also updated his water-pump Fan Blade (from the four blade unit = to a 'six blade fan' ) .
You also will need at least two grove w/p pulley , two grove crank pulley , (maybe the alt pulley , that depends) .
Collect all this info - - - "it's free" - - - then, check your engine - - - you may have those pulleys, already . . . .

later , jim

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
............…………. distributor ...……………. "well it's in there ……………… somewhere"

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haven't seen the car yet, it's on its way, just trying to prepare cuz I know it will need a.c. as soon as it gets here. 98 today.

Thanks for all the info!!!

Keep it coming.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
yo Mike . . . . . . . . . old Texas guy , myself . Born in Dallas , grew-up in Garland .. in th' 50's , 60's , 70's
early 80's . . . . . . . . then, moved too AZ .

(post some pictures . . . . when it gets home . . . . Very easy too post pic's
here on SNS (those above pic;s - - from another post , back in April 2017) .
…… ps - I just went there & stole them - good reference pictures ……..

look at the bottom of this 'box' . . . . # 1 "paper clip" - #2 'chain link' -
# 3 'mountains & sun' - # 4 'camera img' - # 5 'smiley face' . . . .
pick # 3 - - - that's the camera , click on that .

and , your Welcome . . . . . . . jim

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Hi there JD , how's your "Caddy" / Nova doing …..

Bruce - - my 73 (parts car) has - almost - that system , on the stock 250 engine . except, in place
of the a/c , the factory "smog - pump" is mounted there. (then, in 73 250ci = 100 hp . . . . with the
smog & maybe different pistons (who knew) .
Anyway ; P/S & alt mounted on the left side . . . . smog-pump , mounted high on the right side
(or , could be an a/c compressor) .

jim
The Nova is doing great!, It took awhile after I finished the build to shake down all those little problems that come along with a new build. Rattle here, wind noise there, little things going wrong everywhere. HAHA! Its finally to the point I can get in it anytime and drive it like its a new car. No issues whatsoever!

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
Tremendous. I see now the possible issue with getting a bigger distributor.
Vintage air has two compressor brackets for the inline. I have both and am using one.

They advertise that one of their brackets can be used when installing a HEI 6 cyl distributor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here is a pic of my 64 nova with vintage air a lot of guys are doing custom lines to tuck all the ac lines for a cleaner look but honestly after spending approx $1600 on vintage air i did not want spend any extra money on custome lines and bulkhead.
I used all the ac lines in the kit. Just a heads up which i was not aware about you have to cut out approx 2 inches off your rad support for the AC lines to clear i did an alternative to that.
I have completed it i just need to have my rubber lines cut to length and crimped along with finishing all the duct lines.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts