Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for one for a while and I may have just come across a few. I thought I'd see if anyone needs one or more. I'm going to pick one up this morning. He is bringing 3. I only need 1. Let me know if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
as hard as they are to find, i'd buy all 3 if the price isn't crazy dollars. you never know if you'll need another one.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any 13 or 14 inch wheels w/o tires on them. What is the width of those stock wheels? 5 inches?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see in the Shop Manual a sedan used 13 x 4 J and the rest used 13 x 5.5 J. I don't know what the J meant back then. Does that mean sedans used a 4 inch wide wheel? That's like a go-kart.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
14” 4 lug wheels are pretty rare. Only 63 SS would have had them.. Corvairs also had 4 lug wheels but they were only 13”. Everything else had 5 lug bolt pattern..

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,904 Posts
These are 14" × 6", rare 1977 Tru-Spoke wire's, 4-lug. Stock 4-lug in 13 & 14 are worth holding on to for selling later. I've got a set plus two of 13's for spares. They work on various cars like Ford Falcon and other's.
Aloha

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should have known. They were all 13 inch. I have an ad in Craig's List that says WTB 14 inch 4 lug Chevy II wheels. What's really aggravating is they had tires on them! He even said I'm sure I have what you need. I'll insist on pics next time. That was a wasted 60 mile round trip.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All I really want is a spare tire I can rely on. I have a set of 175 70/R14 on the car. They have a overall diameter of 23.9 inches. Can I use a 175 80/R13 as a spare? It has an overall diameter of 24.0 inches. I'd rather have a matching 14 inch but looks like that's not going to be easy.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Yes, as long as you don’t have anything like a disc brake kit on the front that would not clear the calipers.
All I really want is a spare tire I can rely on. I have a set of 175 70/R14 on the car. They have a overall diameter of 23.9 inches. Can I use a 175 80/R13 as a spare? It has an overall diameter of 24.0 inches. I'd rather have a matching 14 inch but looks like that's not going to be easy.

·
Super Moderator
4,294 Posts
Late to this post. I have a set of 5 14"/4 lug wheels, the spare being a takeoff from a wagon that still has the original BFG on it from the factory. Have a hard time believing they are in demand any longer as very few owners go with 4 lug anymore for a lack of drums, axle bearings, small brakes, etc.

At least for '63, 14" 4-lug wheels were an option for station wagon, and 14" wheels were an option for wagons throughout the run. My set of 14's came from a wagon. Not certain, but as a matter of course 6 cylinder wagons got 13's, and V-8 wagons definitely got 14".

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought 14 inch wheels were one of those options you could choose on any mode( at least in 63 not sure about 62). I guess they were standard on a 63 SS but I thought a V8 on any type wasn't a factory option until 64 thus 5 bolt. But what do I know.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found a 14 inch 4 lug wheel this morning. It came with a new 195/70 R14 tire. I have 175/70 R14 on my 62. The 195 is about 1/2 inch taller. Would it be OK to use as a spare if ever needed? I could swap it out for a worn out 175/70 R14 I kept off my old set.

The guy I bought it from has a 63 SS convertible basket case but he has the holy grail of 1st gens. It has a dealer installed 283 and he says he has the paperwork. I didn't ask to see it but if he does, wow.

Attachments

·
Registered
961 Posts
Found a 14 inch 4 lug wheel this morning. It came with a new 195/70 R14 tire. I have 175/70 R14 on my 62. The 195 is about 1/2 inch taller. Would it be OK to use as a spare if ever needed? I could swap it out for a worn out 175/70 R14 I kept off my old set.

glad you finally got a wheel.

The guy I bought it from has a 63 SS convertible basket case but he has the holy grail of 1st gens. It has a dealer installed 283 and he says he has the paperwork. I didn't ask to see it but if he does, wow.
interesting...that's going to need some backing up with photos--wonder what that paperwork is. maybe coax him to become a member here on the site?

-Rusty

·
Super Moderator
4,294 Posts
OK to use as a spare, but just not for long. Might have a rubbing issue in the front, and you never want to run tires of different diameters on the rear for any length of time, but as a spare to get to a tire shop or home, no problem. On non-wagons, the size of the tire is less an issue for storage.

I agree with Rusty. I've long heard about the dealer install in '62 or '63, and I know that the parts were made for the swap. Just have never seen a legitimate example of a car AND paperwork in the same place at the same time. Only late last year did I actually see a January '63 casting 283, a very rare thing, and it was just a bare block. It's kind of what I am shooting for with the wagon I am putting together: era-correct (or nearly) 283/220 with 4-speed, much like a '63 conversion would be. I just didn't want to shell out a couple grand for a '63-dated bare block!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts