Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a good deal on a TCI with torque converter for 700. They were purchased from Jegs 8 months ago and just sat in the guys garage. The inspection tags are still on the tranny and the torque converter is still sealed. Any issues with a 700r4 sitting for that long and not being used? Im just wanting to make sure and see what I should look for when I go look at it.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I think it'll be fine. check to see if the tail shaft seal is still soft. if it is then it should be safe to assume that the rest of the seals are in the same shape.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Iam looking at one of these also. What should the spline count be on the shaft other than one for as S-10 Or , are they're other things to look for to make sure you getting the real deal. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Spline count

The 700r4 came in two spline counts 27 and 31 the basic rule is get one that was cast between 87-93 (look for a big arch in the cast or count the around the stater support)
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5EqFq6i9r...Mwk0TPA/s400/700R4+Pic+with+casting+marks.jpg
The 27 spline will live in a high horse car, remember those Grand National guys, they run 9's with a 27 spline 200r4.
I like the 31 spline cause the tranny itself has factory updates and runs better than the 83 - 86 ones, but any good trans shop will do updates to the older ones. Send me a PM if anyone needs trans help. Me and my father would bulid 350, 400, 200r4 and 700r4 for friends.
Not trying to advertise, just sharing knowledge.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
The 700r4 came in two spline counts 27 and 31 the basic rule is get one that was cast between 87-93 (look for a big arch in the cast or count the around the stater support)
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5EqFq6i9r...Mwk0TPA/s400/700R4+Pic+with+casting+marks.jpg
The 27 spline will live in a high horse car, remember those Grand National guys, they run 9's with a 27 spline 200r4.
I like the 31 spline cause the tranny itself has factory updates and runs better than the 83 - 86 ones, but any good trans shop will do updates to the older ones. Send me a PM if anyone needs trans help. Me and my father would bulid 350, 400, 200r4 and 700r4 for friends.
Not trying to advertise, just sharing knowledge.
just curious, what other types of transmissions did you guy build? any TH125c ?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its actually 27 and 30 spline.....

with 30 spline being the "performance" version used in cars like the vette.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your right! Sorry it is 30 spline.
My Bad!

Oh yeah i also built a TH200 but sorry no TH125 never did front wheel drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts