Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to purchase a soda blaster but i am curious how quick they can be removing paint, i have used many sand blasters and would like to get a soda blaster for the many tractor repaints i do for people and for my 3 Novas
i am curious on speed and efficiency if anyone has input
thanks
ben

·
5,145 Posts
I used an Eastwood soda blaster on parts of my Nova. It took the paint off at about the same rate as sand. Factory lacquer and one enamel repaint.
I had the aggressive soda, they make finer versions.
It does not abrade the surface, so you must sand after neutralizing.
It also does not take rust.
I can see an advantage to it on a tractor, it is next to impossible to keep the sand out of all the mechanisms. I am thinking of using soda on my 640 Ford iron parts but will probably sandblast the sheetmetal after it's off the tractor.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I just had my 63 ss soda blasted and I have a few ideas. If you plan on soda blasting several cars go ahead and buy a soda blaster, look at Eastwood's blaster on their webpage. Soda blasting is the way to go. It will not pit glass, mouldings, chrome, etc. and leaves a film that will slow the surface rust process and give you a couple of weeks to prime. Best of all it does not warp the metal like sand will and the metal looks like it was just pressed and smooth as glass. But if you are only interested in stripping one car I would pay someone to do it for you. I used a company called SoTex soda blasting here in San Antonio Texas, check out their webpage it has a video of the process. SoTex charges about $150 per hour and can completely strip a nova in about 5 or 6 hours. If you figure your time, the cost of purchasing the blaster, the cost of the soda, not to mention the damage it or any blasting can do to your lungs its worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I forgot to mention you will need a huge compressor (220 volt)to power the soda blaster to do a complete car. The one Eastwood sells would take you a long time to do a complete car (10-15hours) and may kill your compressor and it would need to put out at least 15cfm. Most 110 volt compressors only put out about 10 cfm and are not designed to run continuosly. SoTex used a compressor that would be used for a jack hammer to power their blaster. You can rent a compressor like that from your local tool rental if you still want to do it on your own. I had to make the same decision and I paid someone else to do it. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i agree thank you

i appreciate the responses, i do have plenty of compressor, i am a auto body tech, and i was just makeing sure that it actually removes paintin a decent fashion, and i did not want to warp the panels. and it is benificial for the tractors like you said for the bearings and joints and what not.
I was just makeing sure it is worth the money for the item since i paint about 15 tractors a year. And i take all the tins down to metal
thanks
ben

·
Registered
544 Posts
I do not soda blast only because the primer and clear company I use (SPI) says to NOT use it. Lots of people do not neutralize and clean it correctly and will have lots of problems with it after the vehicle is painted but if done right just like anything else it will turn out fine. I'd rather media blast with black beauty or fine sand, walnut, etc (depending on what you are blasting).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts