Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1963 Chevy Nova SS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father has a 63 Nova SS Convertible that were working on together. We’re looking into trying to get it as original as possible. Its pretty close to being complete after we swap the engine, and my fathers pretty knowledgeable on what it needs, but he’s a bit iffy on the small details such as decals.

Are there any good resources we could use? I’ve been having a bit of trouble.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

·
15,760 Posts
Welcome to the site. There were very few factory decals on 1963 Chevy IIs. Photos from the era show there wasn't even a decal on the air cleaner lid of the 194CID/120 HP six cylinder. Many of the decals and stickers you see on restorations were never on the cars when they came from the factory. What decals/stickers are you wondering about? The 1962/63 Shop Manual/Supplement provides some of the info you're looking for.

Bob

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
6,238 Posts
Hey Goebel , Welcome to SNS . Glad too have you here.

1. you have already heard from member : majorcraig , and his 63 convertible SS ........ (y) .
63 Convertible SS Does anyone know how you can tell if you have a dealer installed V8. | Chevy Nova Forum (stevesnovasite.com)
2. you can also talk to member : Ally McReal and his very clean 62 Convertible , still using his 194 L 6 engine .
Southern California Convertible | Chevy Nova Forum (stevesnovasite.com)
3. member : Drjls63 SS - starting with post # 133 .
Inline six... how many still use them? | Page 7 | Chevy Nova Forum (stevesnovasite.com)

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ - this complete post is good reading . with many pictures.

again , Welcome to SNS .

jim

Reactions: Goebel

·
Super Moderator
5,244 Posts
Welcome to the site! You have come to the right place for that kind of info. Bob's suggestion that you check out the shop manuals online is a great one. Already a member at the ready to compare their original car to how yours is coming along is a nice resource. It really is about the small details if you're going back to bone stock. I've had some luck when I have run across a very original car and get a chance to take some pictures. I saw a VERY original '62 wagon once and took a lot of photos just to see what finishes/fasteners were correct, how wiring was routed, and things like that. A number of members have or have had super original cars too, so that might be a help.

As for decals, which ones and what questions?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have just finished restoring my wife's '63 Nova SS Convertible that was untouched when we bought it from the original owner. I took many pictures of the car before taking it apart, but of course never enough of them. If you looking for specific areas, I can send you what I have. I was going to do a detailed write up but other projects have prevailed.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I last week replaced carpet, hydrualic covers top and bottom, steering wheel and put seat belts in front and back. I would be interested in what stickers you find also. Also do you have the little glass bottle mounted in the engine compartment. Most of my convertible is totally stock except for engine, gas and brake pedal (just got tired of the plastic one that kept coming off) and the seat belts (the close I could find were new 1966 and on new seat belts).

Attachments

·
Registered
1963 Nova SS and 1965 Nova
435 Posts
For a good read check out the Super Chevy magazine article "Rusty Ragtop" they go through a lot of metal replacement etc and have a few decent pictures highlighting things.

·
Registered
1963 Chevy Nova SS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the site. There were very few factory decals on 1963 Chevy IIs. Photos from the era show there wasn't even a decal on the air cleaner lid of the 194CID/120 HP six cylinder. Many of the decals and stickers you see on restorations were never on the cars when they came from the factory. What decals/stickers are you wondering about? The 1962/63 Shop Manual/Supplement provides some of the info you're looking for.

Bob
The air cleaner decal was definitely one I was wondering about. There was one on the engine that we bought (used) for the engine swap. Looking through the assembly guide, you’re definitely right.
A few decals in question would be the radiator caution sticker and the valve cover breather

·
Registered
1963 Chevy Nova SS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I last week replaced carpet, hydrualic covers top and bottom, steering wheel and put seat belts in front and back. I would be interested in what stickers you find also. Also do you have the little glass bottle mounted in the engine compartment. Most of my convertible is totally stock except for engine, gas and brake pedal (just got tired of the plastic one that kept coming off) and the seat belts (the close I could find were new 1966 and on new seat belts).
Thank you! Definitely valuable photos for me as im now seeing just how much work the interior of mines going to need. Especially since we both have the same interior color. Im not entirely sure what you mean by the glass bottle, but I assume that means I dont have it lol. As for decals, the only ones im sure so far if is a sticker on the valve cover and the “Air Conditioned” sticker on the passenger side window. Ill keep you posted if I find anything else

Great looking nova though!

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
opti-kleen is the bottle he's talking about. a glass bottle that is maybe 16 oz. an tri-angle sorta in shape. it was used to hold extra wash fluid for the window washers. but back in high school we used those bottles to stash are drive inn movie Rum in. i'll see if i got a picture of the bottle mounted in my 66.

·
Registered
1963 Chevy Nova SS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have just finished restoring my wife's '63 Nova SS Convertible that was untouched when we bought it from the original owner. I took many pictures of the car before taking it apart, but of course never enough of them. If you looking for specific areas, I can send you what I have. I was going to do a detailed write up but other projects have prevailed.
Thanks for the offer. Im interested in seeing a photo of what it looked like under the hood, trunk, as well as a few general photos of the interior if you have them. With under the hood im curious if the wall of the cab is the color of the car or just simply black.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Thank you! Definitely valuable photos for me as im now seeing just how much work the interior of mines going to need. Especially since we both have the same interior color. Im not entirely sure what you mean by the glass bottle, but I assume that means I dont have it lol. As for decals, the only ones im sure so far if is a sticker on the valve cover and the “Air Conditioned” sticker on the passenger side window. Ill keep you posted if I find anything else

Great looking nova though!

here is a picture of the glass bottle, best shot i have. the bottle is kind of covered by the upper radiator hose. blue fluid in it.

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Car

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I always wondered what that bracket was for…Definitely something im going to need to get, especially with the story behind it lol. Thanks
[/QUOTE]

so you do have the stainless bracket ? look at classic industries. they sell the bottle, cap, an opti-kleen label. i got lucky during last winter an found for sale the bottle, cap an bracket in mint condition for 10.00 plus the ship. the bottle was from 1962 an made in canada.

Reactions: Goebel
1 - 16 of 16 Posts