Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys any of you guys driving big block Chevy’s and your novas Daily? I am wanting to build a 555 or 565 Somewhere in that range of big block on pump gas I want the car to be able to reach into the nine’s on the track but still be somewhat streetable. Was wondering if any of you other guys are doing something similar and if you truly drive your cars on the street or if the idea of a 9 second strip and streetcar is unrealistic. I want to run just carburetor no power adders and naturally aspirated on pump gas car weighs is 3320 With the iron head small block. Ithas a T 400 behind it (eventually with overdrive Gearvendors)I plan to run 373 for gearing. I want a radical experience on the road but still be able to cruise and hit the town any info helps guys thanks a lot have a good day

I SHOULD Pry say not daily but a car i can get in and drive a couple times a week on weekends and drive to the track

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Hey guys any of you guys driving big block Chevy’s and your novas Daily? I am wanting to build a 555 or 565 Somewhere in that range of big block on pump gas I want the car to be able to reach into the nine’s on the track but still be somewhat streetable. Was wondering if any of you other guys are doing something similar and if you truly drive your cars on the street or if the idea of a 9 second strip and streetcar is unrealistic. I want to run just carburetor no power adders and naturally aspirated on pump gas car weighs is 3320 With the iron head small block. Ithas a T 400 behind it (eventually with overdrive Gearvendors)I plan to run 373 for gearing. I want a radical experience on the road but still be able to cruise and hit the town any info helps guys thanks a lot have a good day
I think the way to do it is a turbo car. They are very docile for cruising and can put a lot of power down when needed. As far as a pump gas daily driver naturally aspirated, I don't think that is very practical. You are probably looking at 3500 lbs with the big block and somewhere around 750 hp to get into the 9's.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,067 Posts
To me there is a difference in "daily driver" and a car you can drive on the street. I don't think a big block 9 second car is what you want to drive to work every day.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Check out the cars that complete Drag Week, lots of ideas there. But for a daily driver N/A engine, the valvetrain sure takes a beating. A solid roller with commensurate spring pressures is tough on parts over an extended period of time.

Easiest way by far here in 2019 to run that fast and be streetable is a turbo. Which works best with EFI, and that introduces a new set of challenges.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the way to do it is a turbo car. They are very docile for cruising and can put a lot of power down when needed. As far as a pump gas daily driver naturally aspirated, I don't think that is very practical. You are probably looking at 3500 lbs with the big block and somewhere around 750 hp to get into the 9's.
Guess i should say not daily driver but a weekend cruiser take it out some nights during the week but not everyday.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out the cars that complete Drag Week, lots of ideas there. But for a daily driver N/A engine, the valvetrain sure takes a beating. A solid roller with commensurate spring pressures is tough on parts over an extended period of time.

Easiest way by far here in 2019 to run that fast and be streetable is a turbo. Which works best with EFI, and that introduces a new set of challenges.
Guess i should say not daily driver but a weekend cruiser take it out some nights during the week but not everyday.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To me there is a difference in "daily driver" and a car you can drive on the street. I don't think a big block 9 second car is what you want to drive to work every day.
Guess i should say not daily driver but a weekend cruiser take it out some nights during the week but not everyday.something i can hop in be a little radical and have a good time.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
can i ask how much power you 565 puts out and if you street it much ? if so how does it handle?
It made 980 hp at 7200. It was not a street engine at all. 15:1 compression vertical gas port pistons with .043/.043/3mm ring set. .814/.798 solid roller 282/290 @.050. Dart 355 heads with 2.35/1.88 valves with a super victor and 1150 dominator.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It made 980 hp at 7200. It was not a street engine at all. 15:1 compression vertical gas port pistons with .043/.043/3mm ring set. .814/.798 solid roller 282/290 @.050. Dart 355 heads with 2.35/1.88 valves with a super victor and 1150 dominator.
wow haha crazy did u ever take it on the streets or a 1/4 mile at a time haha

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
If you just want a weekend cruiser that can reach into the 9's, you dont really need a huge engine. A properly built 496 or 540 would do it. Good aluminum heads, a nice size hydraulic roller with limited travel lifters and stiff springs can do it, even with a dual plane intake and a big carb. Your convertor and gearing, and most importantly chassis set up is whats going to get you there. As far as streetability, that all depends on what you can live with. Now there is a big difference between just wanting to be able to pull off a 9.90 time slip and running 9.0's.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you just want a weekend cruiser that can reach into the 9's, you dont really need a huge engine. A properly built 496 or 540 would do it. Good aluminum heads, a nice size hydraulic roller with limited travel lifters and stiff springs can do it, even with a dual plane intake and a big carb. Your convertor and gearing, and most importantly chassis set up is whats going to get you there. As far as streetability, that all depends on what you can live with. Now there is a big difference between just wanting to be able to pull off a 9.90 time slip and running 9.0's.
ya i would like it to be mid 9s or a little slower. want to be able to be getting under 10s conistant. can i ask what you got in your nova? and ya i was thinking more towards the 500 ci's just cause I've heard of 496 just barley breaking into 9s i would like to do it every pass. But then again I've never street driven a BBC nova..:turn: haha..dont care if its loud just want it to run cool enough and not be to big bother on the roads be able to cruise hit main street and such and hit the freeway 40 miles to the track...without losing my mind haha . enjoying it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The biggest issue will be streetability. To give you an idea, my chevelle weighed 3120 with me in it when I did the back half. The 509 I built dynoed at 780 hp and the car ultimately went 9.50 at 139 but was consistent in the 9.60's during the season. The issue is not making the hp. Its getting it to leave especially on the small tire and optimizing the converter and gear to do it. If you want highway cruising then the gear has to be offset to compensate and that takes away from starting line ability. If I remember my car was around 1.29-1.30 in 60' with the 509.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m Runing a Blueprint 632 820hp Tko 600 5 speed 373 9” on 275/40/18 I have been supper happy with the way it runs The only changes I have made is converting to a Holly 4500 sniper EFI throttlebody.I had Steve Morris racing engines build a tune for it this thing just runs awesome .Didn’t have very much luck tuning the 1250 dominator that it came with the Engine for the street.I don’t think you can beat this set up for the price plus the warranty that comes with it

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m Runing a Blueprint 632 820hp Tko 600 5 speed 373 9” on 275/40/18 I have been supper happy with the way it runs The only changes I have made is converting to a Holly 4500 sniper EFI throttlebody.I had Steve Morris racing engines build a tune for it this thing just runs awesome .Didn’t have very much luck tuning the 1250 dominator that it came with the Engine for the street.I don’t think you can beat this set up for the price plus the warranty that comes with it
how does 820 horses handle on the streets?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The biggest issue will be streetability. To give you an idea, my chevelle weighed 3120 with me in it when I did the back half. The 509 I built dynoed at 780 hp and the car ultimately went 9.50 at 139 but was consistent in the 9.60's during the season. The issue is not making the hp. Its getting it to leave especially on the small tire and optimizing the converter and gear to do it. If you want highway cruising then the gear has to be offset to compensate and that takes away from starting line ability. If I remember my car was around 1.29-1.30 in 60' with the 509.
right on did you drive that car on the streets much if so was it enjoyable and how often?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts