Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got carpet and sound deadener from ACC (through Rock Auto). The instructions are pretty sparse. For the sound deadener it says "Install kit according to image layout". First question is: does the shiny side go up or down? The only way I can make the pieces look like their image is to lay them shiny side down (see pic). I have emailed ACC of course but haven't heard from them yet.

Any other tips would be appreciated greatly.

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ACC said this deadener is the EVA type which the instructions say to install with the poly side down. I assume the shiny side is the poly side?

I took poly side in college and didn't like it!

·
Premium Member
3,527 Posts
Laying the carpet out in the heat will make it more pliable and easier to install. I suggest installing any bolts for seats, seat belts, console mounting brackets or anything else that bolts in to the floor and then maybe take a picture or two of where they are. This will make it easier to find them to cut around instead of trying to find the holes after the fact.
if you want to get this done with all the rain you are to get perhaps use a heat gun ,hair dryer or a halogen light to get some heat in to the carpet- be careful though.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have a halogen lamp and it gets hot so I'll try that. For most of the bolts I'm switching to studs and nuts so I'm planning to put some short studs in the holes just high enough to feel where they are then cut around them with a spot weld cutter or small hole saw in reverse on the drill.

UPDATE: How does this look for putting heat on it? The lamp is 15 inches from the top of the hump. It's warm but not hot so far. The lamp is screwed and clamped to that board so I think it will be OK. If that's OK, how long should I leave it there?

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the front 3 pieces layed in. The transmission tunnel is slightly wider on one side. According to the schematic I'm supposed to follow the wider side goes to the rear. The second pic is all 3 layed in and the 3rd is the right piece to show I have it all the way to the edge of the clam shell / upper rocker.

Does this all look right?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,527 Posts
looking good. If you set up another 2x4 like that and then hung the carpet over the light ( light sitting on the floor)- It would really do the trick. just keep a close eye on it of course and determine how far away the carpet needs to be from the light. I think the idea is to have the heat penetrate the backing as the carpet pile loop will flex anyway.
I am not an expert and this is just my :2cents:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It gets much worse after the front 3 pieces. The under the front and rear seat pieces don't line up with anything. I don't have a pic of the trunk divider but it's about a foot too long and nothing lines up on it either. I'm thinking the problem is this kit is for a 2 dr coupe and I have a convertible but it was the only kit I saw.

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
looking good. If you set up another 2x4 like that and then hung the carpet over the light ( light sitting on the floor)- It would really do the trick. just keep a close eye on it of course and determine how far away the carpet needs to be from the light. I think the idea is to have the heat penetrate the backing as the carpet pile loop will flex anyway.
I am not an expert and this is just my :2cents:
I think I will try this approach. I have another double halogen lamp set I could add. How long do you think I should let it heat up?

I decided to send the sound deadener back. It was just too confusing trying to match it to the floor and trunk divider. I always wondered if sound deadener would have much affect in a convertible anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,527 Posts
I would only try it for a few minutes- it depends on the wattage of your lights and how close they are to the carpet- keep a close eye on it- don't want it to get to hot:no:

·
3,871 Posts
Don't overthink it as it is only sound deadener. If it fits and doesn't interfere with ancillary item installation, its probably right.

It also looks like you are reinstalling your old carpet. If that is the case you do not have to heat it up as it should already hold the shape of the floor.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I would still like to put some form of sound deadener/insulation under the rear seat and on the trunk divider. What are the purpose of these square holes in the divider? Would it hurt to cover them over? I'm thinking of using some 1/2 inch thick carpet pad I have and gluing it on back there. I just don't know if I should cut those holes out.

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I know the answer to this question but I don't want to get too far along and find out I was wrong. The carpet should slip under the firewall pad or carpet guard? Whatever it's called.

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Front section is layed in and being pressed into place. Doesn't fit too bad especially around the transmission hump. Rear is not as accurate. There are two reinforcing raised parts across the tunnel. You can see them good in the first pic. The rear carpet piece had a contour to fit over that rear most one of those. If I put the carpet on that properly it only goes under the front piece by about an inch but is 3 - 4 inches too long in the back. I assume I should try to fit it like that? Then trim away the excess in the rear? I plan to put some more 25 lbs weights on it along the bottom of the transmission tunnel and maybe put those halogen lights shining down on it for a while. Good idea?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts