Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering how easy the install is. I am thinking of running their 200R4 in my 67 they make the trans the crossmember and wiring harness for "EASY INSTALLATION". just looking for some feed back any problems? other sugestions? thanx bros!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
How much are they asking now a days for one of those trannys? 1300, 1500?? And that is not including the freight charge:eek: If you are looking to lower that price, I do have some details about installing a 200-4R in a 66/67 Chevy II.

Some information that might help:

*Don't throw away that drive-shaft. You can utilize it for the 200-4R. If
the yoke is in good condition, the output shaft of the 200-4R is the same
as the Powerglide.

*invest in their shift lever for the carb of your choice. There is an infinite
number of adjustments you can make to help the shifting characteristics of
that tranny.

*The best trannys to get are from the 86-88 era. And make sure they are
from the following vehicles:
-Monte Carlo
-Buick GNX
There are others out there but those others need alot more of the "needed"
parts then the above mentioned cars.

If you want some other information, just PM me and I can get you some info that might save you some money in the long run.

Dan

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually it only costs:
trany= 1050.00
crossmember= 175.00
tourqe converter= 269.00
wiring kit= 70.00
1564.00 total not a bad price.
I was just wondering if any one has had any problems with their products?
Is it good stuff?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a bowtie 200 in my 67. Good trans. Mine leaks very bad. Have changed the pan gasket twice. Cannot find the leak. Shifts very positive. Took about 8 hours to install. The crossmember they sell fits well. TV made EZ is a must have. If using a stock shifter look into the shiftworks kit. I would also get the reverse light switch. Very straight forward install.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
my father in law is a owns a mechanic shop, and does hot rods out of his home garage (5 bays @ HOME!!!) and he said that the 200r4 was weak and you couldnt put a lot of power through them...he usually recommends and installs the 700r4s in all his hot rods and his customers hot rods.

but, i have also heard negative about the 700s...but i will be putting a 700r4 in my pro-street ride as soon as i get the money...

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Bowtie 2004R?

Hey Now novaBRO. 2004r's really are the better way to fly in Chevy II/Novas. Check out Gear-Star Transmissions too. The 2004R has better gear ratios all the way around, not as much spread between 1st and 2nd and this keeps you in the power band for most engines. 700R4's have a big gap betweeen 1st and 2nd that can cause you to be out of your engines powwer band. An engine with lower end high torque usually works good with a 700r4, but still depends on rear gear ratio's also. Do Not Go Higher Than 3.36, 3.73 to 4.36 or 4.56 work the best. At Hiway speeds in 4th lockup below 3.36 makes your engine lug down and may cause it to feel like it has a miss or is surging. As said earlier, use the drive shaft you have, and get crossmember from who ever gives you the best price. T.V. made easy is very good and makes it easy to adjust trans shift. As for being weak, Not in the upgraded form, its inherently stronger than the 700R4, Why do you think GM used them in their Buick Gran-Nationals. The Trans with the best Valve Bodies are the Monte-Carlos and Buick G-N's. Transmissions being built by Gear-Star and Bow-tie's already have all heavy duty parts in them. Respectfully, "Bill's" II

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Bill's II, great response, however I lost you at the low and high rear gear ratios. I have a 308 rear and am going with a 200 tranny(not yet installed). Do I need to change rear ratio? Thanks, Jay........

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
jaynova said:
Bill's II, great response, however I lost you at the low and high rear gear ratios. I have a 308 rear and am going with a 200 tranny(not yet installed). Do I need to change rear ratio? Thanks, Jay........
In overdrive with a 3:08, it will be a 2:16 final ratio. Yeah, that'll probably lug.:D

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
1965proSTREET said:
my father in law is a owns a mechanic shop, and does hot rods out of his home garage (5 bays @ HOME!!!) and he said that the 200r4 was weak and you couldnt put a lot of power through them...he usually recommends and installs the 700r4s in all his hot rods and his customers hot rods.

but, i have also heard negative about the 700s...but i will be putting a 700r4 in my pro-street ride as soon as i get the money...
stock vs stock a 700 is stronger. but when you put all the billet and go fast goodies in them . the 2004r becomes the better of both trannies. also more expensive

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is just my opinion. My roommate got a 700r4 from Bowtie Overdrives about 10 months ago, and the install went very well. However the transmission never shifted right, it leaked like crazy, and eventually destroyed itself. A transmission mechanic friend of ours rebuilt it for him and was amazed at the "hack job" (his words) that they performed. He said that it was horribly put together, and that it wasn't the first time he had seen this from Bowtie.

Now I don't know if this was a rare occurence or not, but it sure makes me very unsure of anything from that company. I just wanted to throw my experiences in there.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
My buddy has one in his 72 and loves it(700). The trans works great, no leaks, easy TV adjustment instructions.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey thanks for all of the replies guys. I think I will go with the 200R4 in my Nova with some 3:73 gears along with my 383 it will be nice!:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts