Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everything worked properly until i swapped my ugly water neck with a new on.Put the 180 stat back in it started engine. let it warm up with radiator cap off but the water started shooting out instead of goin down.Is it possible my thermastat just decided to start sticking.Engine would always reach a temp of 180 190 then drop down when stat opened after waterneck swap it reached 220?Has this ever happened to anyone?

·
Registered
523 Posts
They usually will do that if the cap is off. Especially just after you revved it up. As the water heats up it expands and has to go some where. With the cap on the tank pressure will build up and if overfull will direct the excess water out the overflow or into your recovery tank. You may have a airlock in the system causing it to go up to 220°.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to be a smart a##, but is it in upside down?
I highly dont think i put it in upside down and i even made sure that the stamped
"towards radiator"on the stat was facing the radiator.The antifrezze should knot shoot out when the cap is off it should go down when it reaches operating temp. Im gonna take it back apart and double check anyways.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Make sure to get all the air out, With the cap on, pressure build thus increasing the boiling point of the water. If the cap is off the water will get hotter and boil much quicker than if the cap was on. For every Pound the boiling point rises 3 degrees farienghet, therefore If your cap is 12 LBS than you raised the boiling point too 248 degrees.

Do you have an overflow tank? If not when the water cools it will suck air!:eek:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure to get all the air out, With the cap on, pressure build thus increasing the boiling point of the water. If the cap is off the water will get hotter and boil much quicker than if the cap was on. For every Pound the boiling point rises 3 degrees farienghet, therefore If your cap is 12 LBS than you raised the boiling point too 248 degrees.

Do you have an overflow tank? If not when the water cools it will suck air!:eek:
I only had the cap off because i was waiting for the stat to open so i could top off radiator.Yes i have a overflow bottle on it.Gonna try again on the weekend.This time ill leave some room in the radiator for burpage.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Probably just had a air pocket, fill it up and put cap on, run to 180-190*, let cool .remove cap and top off if needed and you should be good to go. At 220 with cap off you were probably starting to boil, you should have seen the water moving at 180*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts