Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How important is it? Mine is busted. Side note:

Once again I have to go to the '62 manual for my '64. (I have to use the '65 charts for wiring!) I'm seriously beginning to think my car is schizophrenic.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Hey Sarg!

What do you mean by anti rattle spring? Got a picture or can you tell us where the spring is? BTW, Thank you for your service. My dad & uncle were WWII Marines, I was an all service reject.....dad must have left quite an impression....:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
The bar is the spreader for applying the parking brake, the springs keep it from rattling, it will work without the spring. I have a box of drum brake parts, I will check to see if there are any in it. How many do you need?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
lemme put on my slippers and head out to the shop... maybe i have them! ;)

i gotta get another cuppa coffee first too... gimme a few minutes to check. BRB. ;)

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
lemme put on my slippers and head out to the shop... maybe i have them! ;)

i gotta get another cuppa coffee first too... gimme a few minutes to check. BRB. ;)
There you go, putting personal stuff in front of helping people. Go look and then get that cuppa coffee,:hiding: bring me one too, I was too lazy to make any this morning :rolleyes:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
what a PITA! it never fails, you hang onto something for years never needing it, then you throw it away and instantly ya need it... :(

just a couple weeks ago i tossed a few sets of backing plate assemblies in the scrap pile... they're gone. thought i had saved all the small brake components first, obviously not :(

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry! I haven't a cup yet either and it's 10 am here! What I really should do is install the disc conversion kit I have that's been sitting in my garage for over a year. Can I do all four and not install the master cylinder?

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Sarg you can add the brakes and nothing else but it is not advisable. I have a friend in Phoenix with a daily driver 57 pick up that added 4 wheel disc, 2nd gen F body clip in the front, C4 Corvette suspension and rear in the back and he is still using the stock 57 master cylinder. Truck stops really well but it is not the optimum way to do it. The calipers do not know where the pressure is coming from and will still operate, it is more of a safety issue not having the dual master cylinder. A proportioning/combination valve is only needed to balance the front and rear brakes to prevent either from locking up under normal conditions. If the front to rear bias is correct it is not needed either. I have a write up and formulas for determining front/rear bias on a 4 wheel disc system. Involves a little math and measuring all the components in the brake system, including tires.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
So You're doing the disks?

I got lost along the way....I got the coffee part and Al cleaned out some old parts he could use now......and you have some disk brakes sitting around for a year....so what's the plan?:confused:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really do thank everyone for looking through all their parts for me. I ended getting them from O'rileys.

The plan is. . .my Chevy is my daily driver and my Harley is having starting issues. Seems like when I get one vehicle up and running the other one gets butt-hurt and breaks down to get some attention. I don't want to tear into the brakes until I have a back-up vehicle running.

Also, I know once I get the drums off I'm going to go "Hey, that area could use some cleaning/welding/wiring/whatever" and it'll stay on jacks till the bike breaks down again and I have to put the Chev back together.

That and I'm lazy.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts