Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have their car covered throught the year, what do you do about the antenna? Unless you remove it every time (not worth the time), I don't see a better way unless you make a hole on the cover. I've also been looking into stubby antennas but looks like there aren't any made for first gens.

Any suggestions on the cover issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Depending on the design of the antenna, you might be able to simply unscrew the mast and leave the base attached to the car. And I have seen a few car covers that include a little iron-on reinforcement patch to keep the material from tearing if you have to cut a small hole for the antenna.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My antenna unscrews, I remove the antenna and either put it in the trunk or inside the car.

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
I put a plastic soda bottle over my antenna to create a larger area so the cover doesn't rip , so far so good , even in heavy winds , it would be a good idea to put some duct tape on the underside to reinforce it just as a precaution

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
there is a custom canvas shop in town here, been there for near 100 years. they will make anything out of canvas, repair, or customize what you need. cut your hole an have a shop sew up an extension for the antenna. call some of the boat sales around town they will know how does canvas repair.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I marked the spot with a black marker where I wanted the hole, Took a grommet kit that come with the tool and installed a small brass grommet...……. done.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I already have the car cover and it wasn’t cheap, so I’m not sure about cutting it as it has a lifetime warranty, and my antenna doesn’t unscrew. If I could find one that does I would invest in that. So the soda bottle and duct tape looks like my solution for now. Why didn’t I think a’ that??(y)?

Thank you gents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts