Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '70 Nova. Is it easier to install a floor shifter while I have the tranny out, or can I do it after I reinstall it? Also, are you supposed to cut a hole in the carpet for the floor shifter (hurst quarter stick), or bolt in on over the carpet? Ok, last question. My car has a bench. Should I wait until I put in bucket seats to install my shifter, or can I install the shifter first? I just don't want to find out that the shifter needs to be moved back farther after I install buckets.
thanks,
-Dan

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
I prefer to install the floor shifter with the trans in place - or at least mocked-up. This will make shifter cable routing easier and more accurate. I have the same dilema concerning the bench/bucket seat shifter positioning. I think if you install the shifter with the bench seat in place, you'll be unhappy with the location once buckets are installed. I'd wait until the buckets are in the car. If you can't, then you may want to consider "notching" the bench seat so you can mount the shifter in a good location for either type of front seat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts