Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Ive kind of read around and still got some ?, I have a 70 Nova with a 10 Bolt is it a 8.2 or a 8.5? Second I have a 73 Camaro parts car with a posi 10 bolt in it does it have a 8.2 or a 8.5 and does anyone know what gears it might have? I know the rear end is wider but I can just swap the unit right?The parts car is away from me right now so I can't really look to see right yet I just know it has a posi Thanks an Advance Nate

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
The 68-71 novas came with "STOCK 8.2" ring and pinion gear sets. Latter novas up to some 75 had the 8.5 rear end. The Camaro rear end, like you said, will be alot wider than the original rear end. As for the swapping of internals, that is a good question. I am uncertain that you could swap the internals from the 8.2 to the 8.5. I will leave that question to the pros here in this forum.

Sorry not much help here.
Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check out http://www.novaresource.org/axle.htm to see what rear end that you have in your 70 and what the donor rear end is. You can tell what size the rear end is by the casing. If they are both the same size, a swap is possible, you will also have to check how many splines both axles have to see if the carrier side gears will fit your axles. Hope this helps you out.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
A 73 Camaro rear end is an 8.5" and the internals will not interchange with an 8.2". You will need a housing from a 72 - 79 Nova to use the Camaro posi. Be aware that not all 76 - 79 Novas had an 8.5", many had the weaker 7.5".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts