Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Sacramento Raceway at Funny Car Fever, a 63 Nova running in Big Buck ET, hit the wall after suffering a heart attack while going down the dragstrip. Safety crew say they saw the driver slumped in the seat after crossing the finish line, it hit the wall once, and stopped at the end of the track. The driver was rivived by an EMT, and went back under shortly after, but was revived again, before being taken, by helicopter, to the hospital. It was later reported that he was doing well.

The car will need just a little work to be back.

A lot of people thought, and probably still do think, that it was my dad who crashed, since the cars are almost identical, and this guy wasn't a local. Several people came up to us during the race to see how my father was doing, and I know that once 1 person said it was my dad, it just got spread around.

·
14,584 Posts
Glad to hear the driver is going to be alright and not major damage to his car. Luckily for him the car stopped and did not do what happened to John Shoemaker at Bakersfield last year.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Glad to hear the guys ok and glad it wasnt your dad.

So David, how were the nostalgia funny cars? Did they have a full field of 16. Did fast Jack Beckman drive? I was going to go but plans changed.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
This was off DRR. They're safety crew was on the ball. Dave

Michael O'Neil
DRR Trophy

Posted April 26, 2009 04:15 PM Hide Post
Tell ya what, it was the most surreal thing I have ever seen. I heard "fire on the top end" over the radio and we jumped in the crash truck and flew up there. What I saw when I ran up was something you hope to never see. The guy was gone. Plain and simple. EMT Amy sprung into action. She blasted orders to us like she had done it a million times before. When he took a breath it was like he had been underwater for hours. Best

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Glad he is doing ok (from what we know) and a big pat on the back to that safety crew. Sounds like they were right on the ball and saved that mans life! :clap:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

So David, how were the nostalgia funny cars? Did they have a full field of 16. Did fast Jack Beckman drive? I was going to go but plans changed.
Yes, full 16. Jack Beckman actually crashed during testing Friday night, so he didn't run. He was announcing all day though. So maybe there were only 15. I don't remember, but it seems like there was a bye first round.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Thats a hell of a story. Amazing really. Glad it turned out as well as it did .

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Yes, full 16. Jack Beckman actually crashed during testing Friday night, so he didn't run. He was announcing all day though. So maybe there were only 15. I don't remember, but it seems like there was a bye first round.

Photos of his wreck:

http://www.nostalgiafunnycarnews.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8545#post8545

1 - 11 of 11 Posts