Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
13,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Six cylinder this time. Has the 230 CID chrome dress up. The 230 six was 140 HP, not 155. I have a book that says 155 HP, too, but it's a mistake. Nice car.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
Yeah, got to agree. Wonder what the provenance is on this car, and if it's an original CA car. Ad doesn't say anything about docs or the history, so we don't know. It has a little more of an original car vibe about it than the other, but for either it would come down to which one has the best body with the least rust. I flat out prefer the '64 to a '63, but that's personal preference. I wonder why we are seeing a few of these come across bay so recently.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Beautiful car. What do you think the reserve is? Is there a way to tell how many were built with the 230 vented?

·
Registered
582 Posts
i think i'm smitten. what a great color combo. wish the seat belts were same color instead of black, but easy swap.

what is the white thing sticking out on the DS bucket seat spear? are my eyes playing tricks on me?

curious as to the condition of undercarriage.

-Rusty

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
I wonder why we are seeing a few of these come across bay so recently.
In certain corners of the investment world the current advice is, if you are invested in American classic cars of this vintage, get out now. The market has reached its zenith. Auction prices are absurd. People are trying to flip cars like with houses. You now have reality TV shows. Changing age demographics with buyers that alter preference trends are on the horizon. All the usual suspects have shown up at the party that indicates it's time to wrap it up. Investors (casual and core) are likely aware of the major hit European sports cars took years ago, and want to avoid that. This car is in Monterrey, so the owner very likely is at least moderately well off.

As for the car, this thing is awesome. I do not question its advertised originality. The dash is a wonderful example of the correct flat paint GM used. The radio bezel with the correct color-keyed for '64 with the uneven paint. I am also partial to '64s over '63s, prefer the exterior and dash trim. The style was less "Impala" and more understated. Great car (y) My guess on reserve is $25 - $30K.

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
wish the seat belts were same color instead of black, but easy swap.
-Rusty
Yeah, a car this nice and original needs the proper seat belts. The later black style really stands out as not belonging.

·
13,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, a car this nice and original needs the proper seat belts. The later black style really stands out as not belonging.
Early '64 Chevy IIs did not have seat belts standard. Black front belts became standard later in the year. This car has a 2nd week of February body build date, so might have been on the edge of belts/no belts. I any event, when the front belts became standard they were black unless you ordered the optional color keyed. I don't believe you could even order rear belts in '64, so it's possible this car had none when new. Yes, too bad they aren't color keyed, but the earlier '64 SS we've discussed here has an aqua Interior and the seat belts appear to be blue.

Bob

·
Registered
582 Posts
you folks all feel the market has peaked? what timeframe do you feel the correction will happen? < 5 yrs? 10?

very intriguing, as what does that then do to the prices for project cars? guess those will follow suit?

glad to be in this for the fun rather than the profit, if this is the case!

-Rusty

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
I was referring to the optional seat belt package. My '63 SS convertible had front and rear seatbelts that appeared by all means original, as their look, installation and hardware matched the 1963 accessory install guide. The convertible was azure aqua with an interior color similar to this one being discussed. The belt's color matched the interior. Rear seat belts show up as an option for the Chevy II in the '62 accessory install guide. I have had NOS kits in red and "aqua".

It might be related to growing up in Los Angeles and all the stricter vehicle laws, but everything seemed to have seatbelts and I tended to see color keyed in GM cars. I know there was a period where older vehicles required seat belts to be added, as my step father got a ticket for that in his '56 Chevy Truck.

The front belts in this car appear aftermarket. The rears to me are standard interior 1965 - 66, which are now available repop (I am guessing those are repop). I am used to the metal buckle "air plane" latch belts still being used into '64. But as we know dealers would install what they had.

Very well could be a regional difference thing, especially since this is a bolt-on item. Menno has told me before Canadian cars used a different seat belt than US ones.

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
you folks all feel the market has peaked? what timeframe do you feel the correction will happen? < 5 yrs? 10?

very intriguing, as what does that then do to the prices for project cars? guess those will follow suit?

glad to be in this for the fun rather than the profit, if this is the case!

-Rusty
I do, but many will disagree with that. That is a topic for a different thread (may already exist) to really explore and flesh out.

·
13,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Very well could be a regional difference thing, especially since this is a bolt-on item. Menno has told me before Canadian cars used a different seat belt than US ones.
Yes, there could well have been differences in various regions of the U.S. New introduction items didn't always happen in all plants at the same time, either. As mentioned, seat belts and buckles in Canada were different. The belts were made by the Dominion Seat Belt Company in Toronto. Picture of the factory buckle from seat belts in my Canadian L79. Needless to say, these aren't reproduced, so you see many Canadian Acadians and Chevy IIs with U.S. style buckles.

Cdnbelt.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, got to agree. Wonder what the provenance is on this car, and if it's an original CA car. Ad doesn't say anything about docs or the history, so we don't know. It has a little more of an original car vibe about it than the other, but for either it would come down to which one has the best body with the least rust. I flat out prefer the '64 to a '63, but that's personal preference. I wonder why we are seeing a few of these come across bay so recently.
The car spent most of its' life in San Diego. I talked to the present owner.

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
Interesting discussion of seat belts. For later '63 and '64, there are some decent reproduction buckles available, but...not in aqua. And as a SoCal, I agree that I remember seeing local cars with seat belts more often than not (all cars of the '60's), but they were usually permanently tucked into the crease of the seat and not being used. My '65 wagon, a car the buyer ordered from the factory and waited to be delivered, came without seat belts. Since it was delivered June '65 and the new owner wanted to add belts after a month or so for his family, the dealer told him what they could get was the plastic covered '66 style in black. Kind of lousy with an aqua interior, so I replaced them with '65 deluxe type, but I think it very much was what the dealer had in the back of the parts bin that day.

There's San Diego Poway or El Cajon, and there's San Diego Point Loma or La Jolla. One's bone dry, and the other's 50 years of salty air near the water. Still bears a look.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts