Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I just picked up a 1970 Nova SS clone last week. I don't have any pictures of my own yet, but there are several pictures where I bought it from - http://www.classicalgasmotors.com/cars/0601/0601.htm. The car is 11 years older than I am, so I have quite a bit to learn.

My first two orders of business are installing a passenger side seat belt and changing out the oil pan gasket. Any tips on these items will be greatly appreciated. My Nova does not appear to have the threaded bosses for the seat belts noted elsewhere on this site. Also, what are the best jacking points on the Nova?

I would also like to ditch my super skinny (165/??/15) front tires. Any idea how wide of a tire I can safely fit on a 15x4 rim? I presume not too much wider than what it has, but I don’t have any money in the budget for new wheels at the moment.

What size/type of light bulb does the interior dome light take?

Final question, anyone know of a good source for classic license plates (particularly Texas)?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
270 Posts
The best place to jack it up is on the frame rails in the front and on the rear at the back. Do not forget the jack stands befor going under it:) As for the tires you might be able to get by wit 185 or 195 not sure. Good luck with the project:)

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Jason70SS said:
Hey guys, I just picked up a 1970 Nova SS clone last week. I don't have any pictures of my own yet, but there are several pictures where I bought it from - http://www.classicalgasmotors.com/cars/0601/0601.htm. The car is 11 years older than I am, so I have quite a bit to learn.

My first two orders of business are installing a passenger side seat belt and changing out the oil pan gasket. Any tips on these items will be greatly appreciated. My Nova does not appear to have the threaded bosses for the seat belts noted elsewhere on this site. Also, what are the best jacking points on the Nova?

I would also like to ditch my super skinny (165/??/15) front tires. Any idea how wide of a tire I can safely fit on a 15x4 rim? I presume not too much wider than what it has, but I don’t have any money in the budget for new wheels at the moment.

What size/type of light bulb does the interior dome light take?

Final question, anyone know of a good source for classic license plates (particularly Texas)?

Thanks,

Jason
That is a very nice car. Post some better pics ASAP. Later.

Mark!

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
welcome to the site. very nice looking nova, cant wait to see more pics. changing the pan gasket is pretty easy, just mesy..LOL cant say on the tires..

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Not too hard of job messing with the seat belt, can you elaborate alittle more on what kind of problem?

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
the old license plates from various states are on ebay all the time, just put a search in , unless you live buy a shopping place the has all of those, I know that there is one in gatlinburg.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
nice looking car by those pics with the link.
you have to really feel around thru the carpet to find the holes for the seat belt bolts to go into. with 4" wheels you probably can't go much bigger than what's on there now. it would probably be best just to wait and save for wheels and tires if you really don't like them.
i have skinnies on the front of my 69 and it does help out in parking lots and no power steering.:)

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Jason70SS said:

Thanks,

Jason
swap meeets is where i picked up my 65s...i got them for like 50 bucks....ive seen them go anywhere from 35-150 depending on the year...two big swap meets coming soon to check out....DF/W swap meet at LaGrave Field in Ft Worth APRIL 15TH & 16TH, 2006
and also Pates swap meet April 27-April 30, 2006 at Texas Motor Speedway in Ft Worth....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts