Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the new car up to Canada to a race this weekend to get a few more laps on it and get the "new car bugs" sorted through. We've only got 4 full passes on the car.
3. 1.08 60' 7.19 @ 194.8 on 1 kit
4. 1.04 60' 7.09 @ 195.1 on 2 kits (peddled it twice)

The good news is it's gotten faster every pass. Had a fun weekend and the weather was great.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
What do you think the car will run in an all out pass with no issues? I just wondered where your car is going to fall ET/MPH wise vs. a NHRA Pro Stock car. I looked up on Po Stock times NHRA website they are just slightly faster at 6.7 to 6.8 at 200-205 to be competitive

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't like predicting anyone's numbers because there's just too many variables. I think with all 3 kits turned on and conditions decent, it should 60'1.0-1.02 and make a 6.70-6.80 @ 210 but we will have to wait and see. I think to be really competitive in ProMod we'll have to bump up to 760-800 ci engine, ProStreet and Top Sportsman we're good to go for now. We're just taking it easy with small steps and Yvonne is getting more and more comfortable in the car and understanding how it drives etc. With only 4 full passes and almost at the 6 sec & 200 mph mark we are very happy with the results so far.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Sounds like you are getting it all ironed out! There is a West Coast Top Sportsman race in Medford oregon this weekend, may be a good place for more shakedown passes!! Keep us posted on future progress, this car is Badars!!

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, we're supposed to run with the West Coast Outlaw Pro Mod Assoc in Medford this weekend. I'm waiting for a few parts & going to make a few minor changes in the car but we're going to try to make it. Will know in a couple of days.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing exotic...MSD 7531 box & coil. We have to run a pretty cold plug and gap them at .025 because of all the nitrous & extra fuel. It's basically the same box the Pro Stock teams run except it's got the traction control (slew control) setup but we don't use it. It's also got ignition data logging which has been very nice to diagnose ignition/retards/rpm switches etc. It's also got individual cylinder timing controls which are very nice too so you can set timing for each cylinder.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Nothing exotic...MSD 7531 box & coil. We have to run a pretty cold plug and gap them at .025 because of all the nitrous & extra fuel. It's basically the same box the Pro Stock teams run except it's got the traction control (slew control) setup but we don't use it. It's also got ignition data logging which has been very nice to diagnose ignition/retards/rpm switches etc. It's also got individual cylinder timing controls which are very nice too so you can set timing for each cylinder.

wow, its almost too simple. I thought that at the level you guys were running dual magnetos or something. I guess I was misinformed and I guess the msd is just that good. it will definitely work on my future 9 second car. no need for coil near plug or anything super exotic like that.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Took the new car up to Canada to a race this weekend to get a few more laps on it and get the "new car bugs" sorted through. We've only got 4 full passes on the car.
3. 1.08 60' 7.19 @ 194.8 on 1 kit
4. 1.04 60' 7.09 @ 195.1 on 2 kits (peddled it twice)

The good news is it's gotten faster every pass. Had a fun weekend and the weather was great.
dam... thats haulin. got any vids on them runs.....??? good luck on ur next outing

LIL JOHN

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No vids...I know some people took some and saw one at the track but there's too much to do at the line getting her lined up, check/adjust wheelie bars, etc. to drag a camera up and video. When we get some additional crew then I'll have one of them video it...besides, it's a good way to watch the chassis reactions.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
My friend has a aluminium BBC 615 FI with 3 guns and he can run 6.90s at 200 mph with 2 guns in T/S trim. Took him about a year to get it all sorted out but he's done well after he got it working. You got to walk before you can run and sounds like you are doing real well for the time you've been working on it. To be a Badboy in A/PM you will probably need alot more motor. TheA/ PM boys are running real fast around here.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Joe, that speed & number sound about right. I put in another battery yesterday, mostly for weight, plus it draws a lot of current with all the electronics, nitrous solenoids etc. I think 6.90 over 200 is certainly very doable with 2 kits. This same engine in a similar car ran well under that with all 3 kits turned on. At the last T/S Divisional here a couple weeks ago, our time/speed on 1 kit would of netted us a 3rd spot in qualifying but we're not really set up for Sportsman but it would be fun.

You are right, for serious ProMod we will have to step up to high 700ci or over 800ci to be contending depending on the track conditions etc. Being consistent as you know means a lot. At the race last weekend, we were one of the only cars to get a good full pass on Friday. Everyone else was blowing the tires away etc. With only 4 full passes on the car and being knocking on the 6 sec 200 mph door, I'm very happy with the progress. I need to get the wheel speed up a bit to get the 60' on the 1.0 to 1.1 number. Right now it's 1.04 with low wheel speed.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Very impressive!

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
shew

my hat is off to anybody that pulls the trigger on that much power ,,, it must be one helluva rush

eh , it says 1350 + ,,, the 632 my buddy just did went in a 56 sedan , their still getting the chassis worked out , its doing 5.16's NA , spinning then pulling the front wheels through the lights in the 1/8

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I'll never know since it's my wife's car plus you have to have an advanced ET license to drive it, but my fun is working on it, tuning it, and watching the smile on her face! We are down in the 4.5x range on one kit in the 1/8th so far, so I would expect that to improve once we get the 2nd & 3rd kits lit. The RacePak G-meter says 2.9 G' on launch and Yvonne's Smilo-Meter is off the scale!...she says it's quite the rush.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts