Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Another issue raised its ugly head last night. I want to replace my fan setup from clutch type to straight mechanical with a flex fan. I went out to measure and found that the fan is a 17.25 but lots of space above and to the sides. The bottom is another story

Is it possible I have the wrong mounts? How can I tell without replacing? Its a 72 with a 350 SBC.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
If they are old mounts they may have settled in somewhat. I want to say I run an 18" Flex fan on mine without any issues. I did just pickup new motor mounts for mine today though because I used my old ones when I put my new engine in and the the driver's side is weak.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I've decided to replace, just to be sure, but I'm seeing things like "tall", and "wide". Would any of you have the dimensions to look for so I know which I have? The car by VIN is a 307, but currently has a 350. I know there is no difference in the block, but I read somewhere that there is something different with the 72,

Thanjks!

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Ok, I've decided to replace, just to be sure, but I'm seeing things like "tall", and "wide". Would any of you have the dimensions to look for so I know which I have? The car by VIN is a 307, but currently has a 350. I know there is no difference in the block, but I read somewhere that there is something different with the 72,

Thanjks!
The 72 uses it's own one year only mount. It's the tall and narrow mount.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...odel=Nova&vi=1057025&year=1972&make=Chevrolet

Any of the above mounts will work. I just bought the stock - Anchor 2283

I did read that for some reason a 72 Nova with a 307 will use the other short wide mounts(68-71 Nova) which I had and sold them. I don't know why Chevy did it this way as all small blocks(265, 283, 307, 327, 350, 400) are pretty much the same dimensions on the outside of the block. So if it is originally a 307 car it might actually have the other frame stands on it.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
If that is the case, then it would cause my engine to sit down a touch lower. I ordered energy suspension mounts for my 350. When they come in, I hope they fit. If not, I'll get the correct frame mounts at that time.

Thanks all!
Here are some dimensions for you. I don't know where I read it, but I know I did about the 72 307 mounts that I mentioned earlier. My car was an all original car when I got it a little less than a year ago and it has the narrow mounts.

http://energysuspension.com/products/Motor-Mounts.html

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Let us know how it goes. It could be also that Summit(or Energy Suspension) is wrong.

I don't and can't understand why they would use a different mount for a 307 and a 350 engine. I did originally buy the Energy Suspension mounts for the 307 figuring they would fit the 350. I did this when I was buying all my parts before I even bought the car or new what year I would buy. I sold the Energy mounts a while back as they didn't fit my car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts