Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Ok, I had a thread started on advice for my 327 build. It was getting a little cluttered so I wanted to start fresh on topic. :)

I just need a little advice from a different perspective from those who have 'been there, done that'.

Here is what I'm working with...

* 67' assembled 327 shortblock (standard bore) - fresh rebuild from years ago, 10.5:1 compression standard flat tops
* 461 camel hump heads, have upgraded valve springs, screw in studs, etc
* Edelbrock Performer RPM
* Holley 750 vac. secondary
* M21 4 speed
* 4.10 gears
* Hedman long tubes

Ok, just stating this before I get people recommending it.....I'm not going roller of any sort for numerous reasons :D

My initial plan was to run a 30-30 cam, the exact grind remanufactured from either Elgin, or Federal Mogul. I know that Comp, Lunati, etc make a '30-30' cam but it isn't the exact profile as the real deal. My main question is this....is there really another solid flat tappet cam out there that is significantly 'better' than the 30-30? I know technology has come a ways in the last 50+ years, obviously.

I was just curious if anyone has ran the actual 30-30 or another grind that was supposedly newer technology. Did you see a difference, etc? Just trying to weigh all my options and make sure I'm not leaving any horsepower on the table. I spoke to Lunati and they recommended the 60140. I see that the power curve is advertised as 2400-6600 RPM. And I believe the 30-30 is advertised as 3000-7000 RPM. Do I just stick with the OEM cam or jump to something different to pick up a little extra HP. Is it worth it?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is what i'm running, it's a hydraulic flat tappet... i'm sure they can hook you up with a solid tappet cam...

i'm running a manual tranny too...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/isk-201281/overview/make/chevrolet
That looks like a pretty nice grind. I was going to call Isky tomorrow and see what they recommend. I'm pretty set on going solid ft, but there is a very slight chance I may go hydraulic ft if it seems beneficial. I don't mind learning how to adjust valves etc.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
ha, most case i don't think i'd even bother talking to a cam company unless you want a custom grind...

Me. yeah, i'd like to get input on a cam for my Chevy 350

what compression gears intake blah blah blah

answers...

what cam are you looking at?

this one (^%$$%^^&)

Oh yeah, it'll be fine.

WHAAAAAT!!!??? :doh:

match your components into a "Package" making sure all parts compliment each other and make your own choice... it'll save you on phone charges. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
I ran a real 30/30 in my '69 Corvette and loved it with a 4 speed and 3.36 gears! Last I knew it was still available from Chevrolet. Now... The last cam I ran in my Nova was the Lunati 60102 and that car with 3.73's would run circles around the 'vette! Check out the Voodoo line from Lunati!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I ran a real 30/30 in my '69 Corvette and loved it with a 4 speed and 3.36 gears! Last I knew it was still available from Chevrolet. Now... The last cam I ran in my Nova was the Lunati 60102 and that car with 3.73's would run circles around the 'vette! Check out the Voodoo tends from Lunati!
The 60140 is the Voodoo cam Lunati recommended I use. It looks like the power will come in a tad sooner than the 30-30. I'm just very skeptical moving away from the 30-30 knowing its been a tried true and proven combo even from many years ago!

Also, not trying to start a debate but your comparison isn't really valid. You are comparing a heavier (corvette) car with higher gears using the 30-30 to a lighter car with steeper gears. The 30-30 likes a steep gear...those 3.36's were killing that combo! Just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Just a word of caution. If you are like me, I always tend to pick a cam that is at least 1 to 2 sizes bigger than what I need. Must be the old drag racer in me. Then as I'm struggling with a race inspired cam on the street, I wonder if I wouldn't have been happier with a more streetable cam. My latest combo has a Comp Cams Big Mutha Thumpr roller in a AFR 195 headed 355, and it runs like a raped ape, but the street manners leave alot to be desired, and I probably tend to let it sit for that reason.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a word of caution. If you are like me, I always tend to pick a cam that is at least 1 to 2 sizes bigger than what I need. Must be the old drag racer in me. Then as I'm struggling with a race inspired cam on the street, I wonder if I wouldn't have been happier with a more streetable cam. My latest combo has a Comp Cams Big Mutha Thumpr roller in a AFR 195 headed 355, and it runs like a raped ape, but the street manners leave alot to be desired, and I probably tend to let it sit for that reason.
I totally hear what you're saying. I'm not trying to pick out something way over kill here. In fact, that's what I DON'T want to do. Trying to get a perfectly matched combo. Are you implying that the 30-30 isn't street friendly?...

I guess my main point is this. Is there another solid ft cam out there that is leaps and bounds better than the 30-30? Would I be leaving a significant amount of power on the table if I went with a 30-30?

I've always been a huge fan of running factory stuff. As I see it right now I don't see any reason to steer away from the 30-30. Some have mentioned the cams these days have newer profiles with longer/shorter duration, different lobe centers etc. What is that exactly doing? Is it making more power? Changing the power curve? Etc....

I hate when people just say to use something because that's what they've been told. I'd like to hear it from the mouth of someone who ran a 30-30 at some time and then tried something different with the SAME setup. What was the outcome?

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
The 60140 is the Voodoo cam Lunati recommended I use.

Also, not trying to start a debate but your comparison isn't really valid. You are comparing a heavier (corvette) car with higher gears using the 30-30 to a lighter car with steeper gears. The 30-30 likes a steep gear...those 3.36's were killing that combo! Just my opinion. :)
Hmmmm the 60140, eh? Not familiar with it. I was under the impression their numbering went 101, 102, 103, etc... For the SBC

Now, second point...

Agreed... Sort of. My nova was roughly 2800 lbs and the 'vette was 3100 lbs, so the weight difference was negligible. The Vette with 3.36 with 4speed and the Nova with 3.73 auto with 2400 stall... Again, not a huge difference.

Doing it all over again... I'll run the Lunati

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Oh... Quick tip if you run the .030/.030. Set the valves tight (like .012" intake and .016" exhaust) and you'll get a bit more lift and duration. .030" and .030" was specified by Chevrolet to provide valve clearance for 11.5:1 domed pistons (this, according to Smokey Yunick, way back in the day) which you're unlikely to be running.

Either way, being able to buzz a 327 to 7500, doesn't mean that's the best thing to do with it, ya know? Make your power lower and you'll have plenty of guard band for missed shifts and accidental overruns. Your rotating assembly will thank you for it by lasting a lot longer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh... Quick tip if you run the .030/.030. Set the valves tight (like .012" intake and .016" exhaust) and you'll get a bit more lift and duration. .030" and .030" was specified by Chevrolet to provide valve clearance for 11.5:1 domed pistons (this, according to Smokey Yunick, way back in the day) which you're unlikely to be running.

Either way, being able to buzz a 327 to 7500, doesn't mean that's the best thing to do with it, ya know? Make your power lower and you'll have plenty of guard band for missed shifts and accidental overruns. Your rotating assembly will thank you for it by lasting a lot longer.
I understand what you're saying but if I wasn't anticipating spinning a high rev motor that high I wouldn't be building a 327? Yes, I'm building it for other reasons too but that's a huge part of it. If I wanted to make gobs of power down low I would have went to more cubic inches.

I'm not saying it's going to see 6800+ RPMS regularly but if I'm going to build it, I'll at least build it to it's full potential with what I have. Ya know?

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
I understand what you're saying but if I wasn't anticipating spinning a high rev motor that high I wouldn't be building a 327? Yes, I'm building it for other reasons too but that's a huge part of it. If I wanted to make gobs of power down low I would have went to more cubic inches.

I'm not saying it's going to see 6800+ RPMS regularly but if I'm going to build it, I'll at least build it to it's full potential with what I have. Ya know?
I'm with ya! My Nova was a 4 bolt 350 with a forged and balanced crank and balance pistons and rods. Easily could spin it to 7500, but it ran off the cam at 6K, so I had no reason to go any further. That being said, I was tempted to change the cam and go one step up (or more).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm with ya! My Nova was a 4 bolt 350 with a forged and balanced crank and balance pistons and rods. Easily could spin it to 7500, but it ran off the cam at 6K, so I had no reason to go any further. That being said, I was tempted to change the cam and go one step up (or more).
Awesome! Yea, that's my fear....putting in another cam that will poop out at like 6200 RPM. As of right now I'm just going to run the 30-30. I don't see any reason NOT to? The power band is 3000-7000 RPM, no reason to move it to 2600-6600 RPM like the other ones.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I should just ask this question a different way...

Who has used a 30-30 cam as well as a different solid lifter cam in a comparable 327? What were the noticeable differences? :cool:

·
Registered
332 Posts
K: I haven't run a 30-30 cam, but seems automatic that the current high rate lift solid flat tappets will outperform the 40+ year old grind.

I ran a CS XS 282 cam in my 400 and thought it was great. Switched to the same line XS 290 and went too big for the street. The 282 has lift numbers not too far from a solid roller...I spun it to 7000 rpm and it had awesome throttle response...ran 12.10's in it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
K: I haven't run a 30-30 cam, but seems automatic that the current high rate lift solid flat tappets will outperform the 40+ year old grind.
Can someone explain why? Does it physically make more power? Or does it just make power at a different RPM on the curve? That's what I can't get a straight answer on.

Everyone seems to run this or that but I have yet to see actual proof that another solid ft grind is more beneficial than a 30-30.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
If I had to guess and this is just a guess... I'd say that current cam profiles take into account the lack of "good" gas. I suspect the current thinking on split (i.e. different int/exh. numbers) profiles are better able to manage combustion given the low grade (octane) gasoline that we now have available to us. When I ran my 030"/030" in my 'Vette in the early and mid 80's I was able to buy 104 octane fuel. I did have to go to a somewhat specialty fuel station, but it was readily available. Normally though, I was able to buy 96 octane fuel on a regular basis at my neighborhood gas station.

I was running 10:1 flat tops with small chamber heads on the Nova and never pinged on 93 octane fuel. I attribute that to the Lunati cam profile.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts