Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to remove doors - unscrewing those three phillips screws that hold the hinge in the body pillar. I just bought a "strike driver" (or what you guys call it?), so I believe they'll come out, but are they screwed to the pillar or is there some kind of "counterpiece" behind the pillar? And if so - how difficult can it be to get those screws back some day..?

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Strike driver is a word that I understand! LOL
I had to use one on all of the screws on mine...

YOu can get new screws but the dealer I went to didn't have the exact some screw (head difference) so I never used them...
I was able to get other screws from other cars to hhave the right amount to use... (12 each door I think)

After they have been "hammered" on they will start to turn with a big screw driver... or what ever you use. I have a #3 (i think) phillips head that fits my 3/8 ratchet driver...

Good luck!

What Bill said is correct they float behind so you can move the door around

Mark

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

I guess "impact driver" is a better word.. but yes, I reached out behind the kick panels and now I understand that it isn't a "mission impossible".
Another thing is - can I re-use those screws. I have to be careful. But how about with backdoors? Is there a plate too and how to reach there?

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
As long as you don't mess you the heads of the screws you can reuse...

Back doors should work the same as front doors...

And yes I went brain dead this morning... Impact Driver! that's the ticket!

If you end up messing up the heads shot me PM and we can discuss this further...

Mark

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Everyday I've tried - adding some oil (WD-40) and testing my new "impact driver". Situation with front doors is; 10 out of 12 nuts are loose and the screws are still in pretty good condition. I'm expecting that the oil will do the work and I'll get those two more screws out and away today...

Yep!
Got them away!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts