Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read in several other threads that the 75-81 camaro and the 75-79 Nova suspension is the same, but the subframes are different. Does anybody know for sure what all the differences are? I know that the camaro subframe doesn't have the bumper mounting brackets and that the core support mounts are dfferent, but is there anything else? I have a completely rebuilt 79 camaro subframe with motor and tranny installed that would save me alot of time if I could swap it out for the Nova frame. I plan on going with fiberglass bumpers, so the bumper mounting brackets shouldn't be an issue. I could easily fabricate a core support mount onto the camaro subframe to make that work. So is there anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've heard the camaro sub is longer. I don't know if it's wheelbase, or just frame horns. might find one at the wrecking yard to measure.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,088 Posts
Hi rjc1629,

According to the dimensions listed in the Fisher Body Service manual, there are some differences between the Nova & Camaro subframes where they attach to the underbody of the car as well.

There's an 11/16" width difference at the front (firewall) body mounts. And a 5/16" width difference at the body mounts at the rear of the subframe. Looks like some of the vertical measurements are significantly different too but I'm not sure if they're taken from the same reference plane or not.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The middle of the subframe is the same under the engine, the controlle arms and sway bar are the same. The front horns are totally different and the back shape of the legs are different the camaro is rectangle and the nova is rectangle with a squarer end, the parking brake cable goes in a different location on the nova also and the camaro subframe will interfear with it. Just put all the good stuff from the camaro subframe onto the nova. Dan

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the great info guys! I guess I'll have to swap everything over to the Nova subframe :( Oh well, at least I'll be good at installing the suspension components, lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts