Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
WOW,,,looks like all the stars are lined up on this one :yes:

Is that a 12bolt rear ? Fuel line down the right rocker panel ? Didn't happen to have a vinyl top ? Which brakes,,drum / disc / power ? Just curious.

Good luck and welcome to the site :)

:devil:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
WOW,,,looks like all the stars are lined up on this one :yes:

Is that a 12bolt rear ? Fuel line down the right rocker panel ? Didn't happen to have a vinyl top ? Which brakes,,drum / disc / power ? Just curious.

Good luck and welcome to the site :)

:devil:
Yes. It has a 12 bolt non posi rear. Fuel line runs down the right rocker but no vinyl top...Bolero red on red with drum brakes.

Thanks for the welcome!

·
14,326 Posts
I have asked this before......didnt get an answer?Isnt the motor what makes it an L79?If the L79 motor is not there how is it an L79?Just curious...thanks bm
IMO a car is not an L79 when the original ZI engine has been replaced by a 350 and it's on Ebay being called an L79 and priced like an L79. An L79 that has lost it's original engine over the years, but has a correct replacement engine, is still an L79....IMO. There is a GM Canada documented L79 Acadian in the Canadian Registry that has a ZI engine dated within 3 days of the blown up original.

Documentation makes it 99.9% certain that this 67 is one of the 6 or 7 L79s built in that year. The original engine is long gone and trying to find a '67 ZI to replace it is a long shot at best. If this was my car, I'd search the land for a '67 ZI original or service replacement engine. Failing that, build a '66 as close as possible to '67 specs and appearance. It's not going to be a numbers matching car, but it's one of the rarest pieces of Chevy II history in existence with paper to prove it.

Bob

·
Registered
67 SS, 65 SS
1,831 Posts
This is great news for the Nova community:D. Actually for all Chevy enthusiasts! Really glad to hear this. since the engine is missing the next best is to find a correct dated 67 327 and have it restamped, of course one would disclose this in the resto but it is possible and would fit the profile of the car. With all the Nova enthusiasts on SNS it would be great for everyone to start checking for the components to get this car back to its birth-rite. I know a few guys who lay low key and have "stuff". i would be glad to help if needed. Good luck with this treasured car. :yes:

·
Vendor
7,086 Posts
Please post pictures of the car when you can.This being such a rare car it needs to be preserved as best possible.

·
Registered
34 Posts
After speaking with the owner for quite some time today and reviewing the posted documents i do beleive it is a real 67 L-79. The p-o-p is almost identical to mine. I can estimate the build date as 6/30/67. It still retains the original trans and rear, so a restoration block is in order. There were 2 different dated casting runs of "362" blocks i have documented for "ZA" &"ZI" cars built from the end of may until the end of the model year.These cars were so abused that is not surprising the block was trashed. What is more of a surprise is that the "sag" has survived. To me the car should be considered an original L-79 because of the paper work involved. Without that it would just be another 67 nova built in june. The red on red combination would be a show stopper.

Congrats Blaine

Jack Duer

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
:clap::clap::clap::woot::woot:
Very nice.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Very cool story!

So happy that one more 67 L79 has surfaced! especially with the hard life this little baby has lived!

Would love to see more pics!

Good luck with this one!

Mark

·
Registered
67 SS, 65 SS
1,831 Posts
After speaking with the owner for quite some time today and reviewing the posted documents i do beleive it is a real 67 L-79. The p-o-p is almost identical to mine. I can estimate the build date as 6/30/67. It still retains the original trans and rear, so a restoration block is in order. There were 2 different dated casting runs of "362" blocks i have documented for "ZA" &"ZI" cars built from the end of may until the end of the model year.These cars were so abused that is not surprising the block was trashed. What is more of a surprise is that the "sag" has survived. To me the car should be considered an original L-79 because of the paper work involved. Without that it would just be another 67 nova built in june. The red on red combination would be a show stopper.

Congrats Blaine

Jack Duer
Jack, I agree, the red on red combo would be a show stopper done to a level of your car. a personal thanks to you for being so involved in these historic time pieces, you should be the mentor for this project if it gets of the ground. Blaine you are going to become a famous household Chevy name, Congratulations. Greg, CGM.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Congrats Blaine

Jack Duer
Thanks very much Jack. I really appreciate the opportunity to talk with you about my car. As THE authority on these "hen's teeth" I'm sure to have lots of questions for you on originality. I know I have my work cut out for me but agree she does deserve a full blown restoration. Like I told you...I feel like I hit the jackpot (of 1967 novas)but it's taken 27 years to realize it...and probably a few more to complete it.

Blaine McGee

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Keep us updated! Im sure we'd all like to see the restoration process on that one :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
67 SS, 65 SS
1,831 Posts
Hmmm.......how about if all us SNS members step up and start a donation for the restoration, not too much to ask for a worthy cause, this is big news and we all could could drink a few less.........:eek::yes::no::rolleyes:....or sacrifice something!

·
14,326 Posts
Jack, thanks for posting here and providing your usual expert opinion.......and for contacting Blaine. As I mentioned earlier, this is exciting stuff. This car has obviously been through a lot, but the paperwork survived to prove it's heritage. Looking forward to following the restoration process.

Bob

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hmmm.......how about if all us SNS members step up and start a donation for the restoration, not too much to ask for a worthy cause, this is big news and we all could could drink a few less.........:eek::yes::no::rolleyes:....or sacrifice something!

Set up one for me too!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I've posted an album on my profile page of some early pics I dug up of the car when I bought it and after installing a 327 and black interior. I'll take pics of the current condition and post them soon.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts