Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I'm new to the site but not to Novas. I bought my 1967 Super Sport back in 1984 in Walters Oklahoma from the second owner. It did have the original transmission (Saginaw 4 speed) and rear end (12 bolt). The second owner said he'd sold the original 327 to a friend who had blown it up...but he did provide me with alot of the paperwork that came with the car including the protect-o-plate and car order. When I first purchased the car I looked up the codes from the POP and found it was built in June of 67 and was equipped with a special high performance 327 (ZI) built on June 19th and the rear had 3.07 gears (FQ) and was built on June 29th. The car went to Roark Chevrolet in Las Cruses,NM and was received by the first owner on August 10th.Several years later I heard how there were only 6 or 7 L-79 made in 1967 and having some knowlege of the 1966 L-79s concluded mine was more than likely a 275 hp 327. I had assumed the 1967s were made at the beginning of the production year (not late June) and would have been backed by a Muncie transmission. I even bought a 490 aluminum intake thinking I might clone a 1966 L-79 but knew from the POP mine came with a Rochester which won't fit the 490.
After reading some info recently here and in Nova Times on the two documented 1967 L-79s I'm starting to wonder if I've been sitting on something special for the past 27 years.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
(Saginaw 4 speed) and rear end (12 bolt). The second owner said he'd sold the original 327 to a friend who had blown it up...but he did provide me with alot of the paperwork that came with the car including the protect-o-plate and car order. When I first purchased the car I looked up the codes from the POP and found it was built in June of 67 and was equipped with a special high performance 327 (ZI) built on June 19th and the rear had 3.07 gears (FQ) and was built on June 29th. The car went to Roark Chevrolet in Las Cruses,NM and was received by the first owner on August 10th.Several years later I heard how there were only 6 or 7 L-79 made in 1967 and having some knowlege of the 1966 L-79s concluded mine was more than likely a 275 hp 327. I had assumed the 1967s were made at the beginning of the production year (not late June) and would have been backed by a Muncie transmission. I even bought a 490 aluminum intake thinking I might clone a 1966 L-79 but knew from the POP mine came with a Rochester which won't fit the 490.
After reading some info recently here and in Nova Times on the two documented 1967 L-79s I'm starting to wonder if I've been sitting on something special for the past 24 years.
Any thoughts?
That would be a fun story if it turned out to be a 67 L-79.We can possibly determine if so.

Lets see pictures of the following...

Your POP and doc's.
Rear end casting date,assembly date and code
Picture of the axle flanges
Cowl tag
Vin if your willing to share or partial Vin
Transmission assembly date and partial Vin stamp
Exhaust hangers

What was the condition of the car when your purchased it?

·
14,327 Posts
All that you've stated would lead to this being one of the few 1967 L79 cars. It's unfortunate the original engine is gone. The chances of finding a date correct L79 engine are almost nil. Best you'll probably do is a 1966 ZI engine that you could restore to 1967 specs and appearance. With the original tranny, rearend and paperwork this could still be a very unique car.

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car was pretty rough. It had a smoky 283,seats from a late model Grand Prix,the rear door panels were stapled to plywood,the clutch linkage was secured by a hole through the fenderwell. It had air shocks to clear the oversized wheels in back...it needed some TLC.
Since I've owned it it's been in good and bad condition. I replaced the interior with stock from a donor car and replaced the 283 with a 350 crate motor. It's been hit twice...once front(lost my front teeth in that collision) and once in the rear so it's taken it's share of abuse. For years it was my daily driver. I have two small kids now so I don't get to work on it much. It needs alot of body work and I'd like to go back to the original red on red colors.
As soon as I figure out how to add pics I'll post what's available.
Thanks

·
14,327 Posts
Maybe for a start just post the info from the cowl tag. I'd be interested in the body build date.....top of the tag above the model number. If the car was built at the end of June it should read something like 06D or 06E. We only know of 2 existing 1967 L79s for sure. Rumours of others may or not be true. They never surface. This could be #3 for sure:).

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replys everyone. I've posted some pics of the POP and cowl tag on my profile page. The date for the engine(ZI) is 06/19 and the rear axel(FQ) date is 06/29. The trans. date is E(May)17.I never thought my baby might be one of the elusive 6 but it sure seems to have alot in common with the 2 documented cars.

·
14,327 Posts
Everything I see points to this being a 1967 L79. As we understand it, the time frame for building these cars was about a 6 week period at the end of the production year. This car fits that time span. The POP shows the engine as being a June 19th ZI code. The cowl tag shows 2L which is the 4 speed. Have we found car #3, guys?

Bob

·
Registered
216 Posts
Everything I see points to this being a 1967 L79. As we understand it, the time frame for building these cars was about a 6 week period at the end of the production year. This car fits that time span. The POP shows the engine as being a June 19th ZI code. The cowl tag shows 2L which is the 4 speed. Have we found car #3, guys?

Bob
So we got two super sports and one sport coup?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
My fingers are crossed. This kinda thing is cool. Love to see pics of the actual car.:thumbsup::thumbsup::good post:

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The detective work involved in this is cool. A documented 67 L79 would be way cooler than the 56 4 door Bel Air the original owner traded for it.

·
14,327 Posts
Jack Duer is probably the foremost 1967 L79 owner. I've contacted him and asked for his opinion. Looking forward to his response.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Hi all. I'm new to the site but not to Novas. I bought my 1967 Super Sport back in 1984 in Walters Oklahoma from the second owner. It did have the original transmission (Saginaw 4 speed) and rear end (12 bolt). The second owner said he'd sold the original 327 to a friend who had blown it up...but he did provide me with alot of the paperwork that came with the car including the protect-o-plate and car order. When I first purchased the car I looked up the codes from the POP and found it was built in June of 67 and was equipped with a special high performance 327 (ZI) built on June 19th and the rear had 3.07 gears (FQ) and was built on June 29th. The car went to Roark Chevrolet in Las Cruses,NM and was received by the first owner on August 10th.Several years later I heard how there were only 6 or 7 L-79 made in 1967 and having some knowlege of the 1966 L-79s concluded mine was more than likely a 275 hp 327. I had assumed the 1967s were made at the beginning of the production year (not late June) and would have been backed by a Muncie transmission. I even bought a 490 aluminum intake thinking I might clone a 1966 L-79 but knew from the POP mine came with a Rochester which won't fit the 490.
After reading some info recently here and in Nova Times on the two documented 1967 L-79s I'm starting to wonder if I've been sitting on something special for the past 27 years.
Any thoughts?
cool im realy curious on this one:yes::yes::yes:

·
14,327 Posts
Just got a PM from Jack Duer. His overall assessment is "it looks like a real one and deserves a mega resto." He says the POP with this car is almost the same as his. He's going to try and contact 'Charlotte's Dad' to get more info. I also expect to be talking with Jack by phone in the next few days. This is exciting stuff, guys. Of the approximately 6000 327CID Chevy IIs built in 1967, only 6 or 7 were L79s. Quite unbelievable that after almost 45 years perhaps half of those still exist.
Bob

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Interesting story on the car and hope that the car comes out to be true. Good luck on it....

If your looking for a 327 for that year, I might can help you with that .....

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I've read some articles on Jack's Nova but have not had the pleasure of reading about the other 67 L79. Is there a link here or was it in the Nova Times at some point and I missed it???:confused::confused:

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Just got a PM from Jack Duer. His overall assessment is "it looks like a real one and deserves a mega resto." He says the POP with this car is almost the same as his. He's going to try and contact 'Charlotte's Dad' to get more info. I also expect to be talking with Jack by phone in the next few days. This is exciting stuff, guys. Of the approximately 6000 327CID Chevy IIs built in 1967, only 6 or 7 were L79s. Quite unbelievable that after almost 45 years perhaps half of those still exist.
Bob
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I have asked this before......didnt get an answer?Isnt the motor what makes it an L79?If the L79 motor is not there how is it an L79?Just curious...thanks bm

1 - 20 of 45 Posts