Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrights guys im going to be building a 383 for my 70. i got a 4 bolt main block that came out of a 76 pickup truck. now i'v read almost every 383 build up(scooters build was very good) and im still not sure how to go about this. part wise i mean. i want to do a eagle or scat stroker kit from summit. but im not sure if i have to do all that measuring? im stuck on the cam the heads, mani., carb, valve springs etc. its going to be a street car(drags every once in a while) but for the most part a weekend warroir.its going to be a budget build seeing how im only 19 and have a house, 3 other cars. im building this car up with my lil brother(15) to try and get him into this kind of stuff.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Check with
http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/
and
www.adperformance.com/

Both will beat Summit or Jegs prices on the stroker assemblies!!

Pick the RPM range of the engine REALISTICALLY. Then you'll be able to know how much cam and cylinder head you'll need along with the accompanying stall and gearing.

Just remember, EVERYTHING needs to match and work together!! If the combination if off, performance will suffer greatly.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You also can look at wheeler power products they're 383 assembly is running $1300. I just ordered at complete short block 383 with all forged assy for around $2100.

Len

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
alrights guys im going to be building a 383 for my 70. i got a 4 bolt main block that came out of a 76 pickup truck. now i'v read almost every 383 build up(scooters build was very good) and im still not sure how to go about this. part wise i mean. i want to do a eagle or scat stroker kit from summit. but im not sure if i have to do all that measuring? im stuck on the cam the heads, mani., carb, valve springs etc. its going to be a street car(drags every once in a while) but for the most part a weekend warroir.its going to be a budget build seeing how im only 19 and have a house, 3 other cars. im building this car up with my lil brother(15) to try and get him into this kind of stuff.

thanks in advance
There is a place in Phoenix that builds custom to order stroker engines with a decent warranty. They advertise on craigslist and Ebay. Prices are reasonable too.

You don't necessarily have to spend alot of money to do a stroker. I built my 383 for my 76 stepside reusing the stock 350 block, cast crank and stroker I beam rods I got dirt cheap, reused the stock flexplate and bought a Professional products balancer. I did splurg for some KB forged pistons since I have a connection with a machine shop. Got a deal on some AFR heads for $500 and used a performer intake and Qjet carb plus a 268 duration hydraulic cam from camgrinder. Added roller rockers and good pushrods, double roller chain and that little engine ran great!!! I used clevite bearings, speed pro rings, felpro gaskets. I opted for the corvette 6qt pan with windage tray and hi-pressure M55A pump.

FYI I forget which of the magazines did a cheap 383 build with a kit from Powerhouse out of Bakersfield,Ca. $499 for the stroker kit. Ran good for cheap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts