Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

· Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So what happened in the ensuing 4 years since the last post? My butt hurts from sitting on the edge on my seat for so long lol!

Kev
I had three semi trucks, and the last few years it just seemed that I never had the time or could tie up space in the shop in case I had to get one in and work on it, which I did on a regular basis. I sold the trucks and retired in November 2019, and up until just this summer I worked on other projects to get them finished up and out of the way so I could pull the Nova out to work on it.
Now I'm at a standstill again until I get a pair of fenders that will actually fit without major reworking. I did get the bucket seat mounts installed, and today I took both seat frames, foam and upholstery to the local trim shop to get them finished up and ready to install when the time comes.
I have also been finishing up trimming out the original 350 so it's complete.
I also want to build a test stand to put the 434 stroker on and run it to break in the cam and check for any leaks or problems before I put it in the car.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Rim Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Engineering

· Registered
525 Posts
oh, the new msd atomic 2 will be here in action? how do you like it so far from quality and looks?

I haven't found any information on the internet about the fuel line connection - which fittings are required to have a return line plumbing installed? Looks like on 1 side -6AN female and other -6AN male?

your feedback would be highly appreciated, because than I can order also fittings and hoses in the same step and would make it easier for me here in Austria with only shipping once from SummitRacing

· Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That is the original Atomic EFI, it's about 6 years old, and I have yet to start the engine with it installed.
I am going to have an in-tank pump and use the EFI's PWM feature to control the pump, so no return line is needed. One line is simpler than two.
Yes the fittings are AN-6.
I attached the manual in case you want to look at it.

Attachments

· Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Got the cherry picker extracted from the back of the shop this afternoon. Pulled the 434 out too and took the MSD TBFI unit off and bolted on the lifting plate. Picked the engine up and took it loose from the engine stand, was balanced just about right. (y)
Unboxed the new TKX600 Tremec 5 speed transmission and set it on one of my tool carts with some 2X4 blocks to keep upright and rolled over to the engine. Raised the engine up and got the trans lined up and pushed into the bellhousing. I didn't install a clutch, no reason to at this point, as I'm only doing this to check for trans clearance in the tunnel. Bolted them together and put a ratchet strap on the rear of the trans up to the chain holding the engine and got it leveled out so it would set down on the subframe in the right attitude.
Rolled the subframe under the engine and trans and lowered it down onto the front engine mounts and stuck the bolts in, had to rest the rear of the trans on a chunk of 2X4 as I haven't been able to find the trans mount yet. Once I do, I can roll it under the body to check out clearances. I have to take the shifter and cover off first though.
I can also mark the underside of the tunnel for the hole for the shifter while it's in position.
Only problem I ran into is that the engine mounts seem to have welds that interfere with the mount setting down all the way on the frame mounts I'll take them off and take a look to see what's going on.
The legs and casters I put on the subframe work great to roll it around.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas Engineering
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Engineering

Motor vehicle Building Vehicle Automotive tire Engineering
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Engineering

Attachments

· Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I installed the engine and new TKX600 transmission in the subframe, rolled it under the body and bolted up the rear body mounts to check for clearance issues. It's tight. about 1/4" at the cover plate in the center of the transmission, but it doesn't touch. I used a Motion Control trans mount and I think it's a little taller than the stock mount, going to check on that.
Also had to move the plug wires and relocate the wires from the Atomic EFI as they were pinched between the head and firewall.
Crawled underneath and marked where the shifter will go in the tunnel. The TKX shifter can be mounted with the stick forward or to the rear of the tail housing. It looks like the rear position is going to be nearest the stock position.
I mounted the headers too, but had to cut a boss off the flange to clear the bolts and brackets for the plug wire looms. Going to have to decide on a location on one of the collectors to weld the bung for the O2 sensor.
I talked to AMD about estimated delivery fo the front fenders I have on backorder, and they said it's looking like late December or early January. I'll just have to keep going other little prep jobs until I get them, though that list is getting shorter all the time.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Bumper Vehicle door
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design
Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Auto part

· Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Today I worked on installing the new backs and skirts on the bucket seats. The upholstery shop did a great job recovering them, and with the new backs and skirts they like like brand new seats. Most of the screws were in really rusted and the cad plating pretty well gone, so I found some screws on McMaster-Carr that look pretty much the same, and ordered both the 1/2" and 1" lengths to replace the old ones. I even put n the metal "bullets" on the ends of the chrome trim to finish it out.
Now I need to bag them up and put them in a good place until I can install them. I might even put the driver's seat in the car and set in it, just to see how it fits and feels.
Someday.....

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Gas

Motor vehicle Luggage and bags Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Office chair Fender

· Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
6,697 Posts
Hey . . seventynovaSS . . I just now read your complete 'build' post .

A great job - - - - I like that you guys post all this very important info ; when you are 'deep into these
kinda builds . " A lot of stuff goes into this kind of work " . . . thanks so much for 'sharing info & great
pictures ' .
So , when I see anyone with their 3rd gen - - torn down like yours : I ask = "have you seen this old post before :

hidden vin# location | Page 2 | Chevy Nova Forum (stevesnovasite.com)

Now would be a great time too check - out u'r car .

my 69 - - is still together & driving - - so , I'm right there with our 'friend Lou (onecarnut) " - - - - -
I agree with him - - - - - - - "he's older than dirt" - - - - - - - - and , I'm right there with him .
Meaning , I most likely , will never take my car "apart" (in my life-time) . I've done frame - off's before ;
(back in my body - shop - days) ................ but ............... just going to drive this one .

So , as u'r way (apart) down on this re-build . . . . . . check out u'r ' Hidden Vin Number's ' . . . . . then ,
you know .

again , Great job - - keep going - - make it fun (as best as you can) - - - - - you will have more
knowledge of how u'r car was ever made .

later , jim

ps - - -
and , thanks for your time , including u'r info & time too post up those pictures . . . .

· Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Everything is coming along nicely. One step at a time and you will get there.
I am also liking what I can see of the John Deere in the background:)
That's my '91 JD430 Diesel. It got relegated to snow blower duty when I bought a Kubota BX2230 to do lawn mowing and maintenance a few years ago. Did a restoration on it, had all the metal work blasted and powder coated and the hood repainted. I also fabbed a new mount for the blower and had it blasted and powder coated too.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Forklift truck Motor vehicle

· Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
When I sat the engine and trans in the subframe, the right side motor mount wouldn't set down on the frame mount far enough the get the normal 7/16" bolt through the holes. I was able to get a 3/8" bolt in, but it was a tight fit also. Today I pulled the bolt out and jacked up the engine enough to get the mount unbolted and out so I could take a look at it.
Apparently whoever welded the mount together was not doing a very good job, as the welds were so large they were hitting the frame mount and not letting it seat all the way down where it should rest.
A few minutes with a grinder removing the excess weld allowed it to set down all the way onto the frame mount and the 7/16" bolt fit just fine. The other side wasn't as bad, but did make the bolt fit pretty snug, so I pulled it off and ground it's welds down also.
Everything fits perfectly now.
On to the next task...

Gas Rectangle Tin Metal Auto part

Tin Gas Auto part Metal Rectangle

· Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well, I ordered a pair of front fenders from both AMD and Classic Ind. in mid-September, and figured which ever got them first I would take, and cancel the other order. I've been calling both companies every month since then, and finally AMD said they had both in stock. Classic Ind. said they only had the left one, so I cancelled their order. AMD says they are behind in shipping, that it may be 2 or 3 weeks until they ship, so I may actually have them in another month.
We shall see what happens.:rolleyes:

· Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I finally got my new fenders from AMD in early March. They look pretty good, no dents or obvious damage done in shipping. I haven't had a chance to hang them on the car to check the fit yet, as I have the engine and trans installed in the subframe so I can get the engine fired up and make sure there are no issues with it. Been working getting the MSD 6A ignition system, Atomic EFI, the starter wired up, radiator installed in the support and an oil pressure gauge connected so I can get tit running.
Well, today I finally got it fired up, sounds pretty nasty with the open headers, and I still have a little adjusting to do in the Atomic EFI setup and set the timing. But it runs, sounds good and I don't have any leaks, so that's a good thing.
I'll try to get a video of it running and post it here.

· Registered
998 Posts
Took me a while to figure out why you had so much clearance behind your distributor. Then I saw the frame move and the body still when you fired it up. Motor sounds good. I have a soft spot for big cube small blocks.

· Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I got the new AMD fenders fitted and the hood on the car, finally.
The fenders fit way better than the Dynacorn junk I had before. I did have to make one cut and weld about 6-8 inched from the bottom of the right fender as it stuck out about 1/2" at the bottom of the rocker panel while the rest of the fender fit really well.
A friend is going to give me a hand fixing a couple of dents done in shipping, prime and block them out. Probably won't work on them next week, as it's going to be in the 90s all week and the shop heats up really fast. I don't function well in the heat and get really grouchy.

Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Car Automotive exterior

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper

21 - 40 of 71 Posts