Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm running into a bit of a snag. My engine mounts appear to be wider than the perches on the clip. Any suggestions? I'm trimming the floor as needed to get the engine where it needs to rest. I'm hoping that coming up on the back of the trans will give me proper clearance on the mounts. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Still off on my mounts by a half a hole. I'm using the Energy One mounts and they have the extra plate that fits between the mount and adapter plate. Wonder if I could omit the plates? Good news is my Street & Performance headers fit like a glove.

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
After some measuring as it sits now I'll have a 1/4" clearance between the rack and the oil pan (f-body pan). Since I'll have to cut,grind, and weld the perches where they fit I think I'll raise it up about a 1/4" more for a little more clearance. Everything else fits wonderful. I'll go back and cut a larger more uniform piece out of the tunnel and make a nice looking patch to give myself the necessary clearance. No major snags so far,fingers still crossed.

·
Premium Member
5,537 Posts
Are those the same engine perches that went with the 1st gen small block?

that is crazy that they are the close but yet that far away...

so maybe the altering of the mount will end up good because of the clearance between the pan and the rack?

Mark

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Same as it was with the small block. Fortunately I'm not in a hurry so I'll cut them and make it right. I'd like a touch more than a 1/4" clearance between the rack and oil pan but either way the engine would have to be raised or pulled to pull the pan. I don't plan on having to pull the pan so I should be good.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I've made a little progress nothing earth shattering. I did get my passenger side engine perch cut and relocated over this past weekend as well as tacking up my trans crossmember. I also cut out the trans tunnel so I could brake up a new tunnel. Made a template today for the tunnel and got it roughed in. I purposely made it a bit long on the rear so I'd have some extra stock to blend it in with the existing tunnel. Hopefully in a day or two I'll start getting it tacked in and ready to weld.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just saw this thread, you're doing good work. These swaps always throw some curves at you but it look like you're well on top of them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sub'n!

I am going to start this same process in a few months (ls1/t56/8.8 posi 4:10's in a 67 4 door). Currently Im in the tear down phase (pulling 350/th350/10bolt Open 3.08) and have a few questions:

What clutch master are you going with and what firewall mount?
Did you install the mid shift on the t56 yourself and if you did what kit?
Did you feel you had to cut the entire trans tunnel out of personal preference?
Are you going to be utilizing the stock clutch pedal assembly for this?

Good luck its looking great already!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Sub'n!

I am going to start this same process in a few months (ls1/t56/8.8 posi 4:10's in a 67 4 door). Currently Im in the tear down phase (pulling 350/th350/10bolt Open 3.08) and have a few questions:

What clutch master are you going with and what firewall mount?
Did you install the mid shift on the t56 yourself and if you did what kit?
Did you feel you had to cut the entire trans tunnel out of personal preference?
Are you going to be utilizing the stock clutch pedal assembly for this?

Good luck its looking great already!
I bought the McCleod setup, it uses a Wilwood master. I haven't bolted the bracket up yet but looking at it it appears that it'll work fine. My trans came out of a 2007 cts-v and they already use the front shifter location. I had the trans modified by putting a gto main shaft and tail shaft housing so I would have a splined output instead of the tri flange. When it was converted the guy modified a shifter rail so I would have a working reverse lock out solenoid so now since the solenoid is in the tail shaft housing I can run my shifter in either location. I'm gonna go ahead and put a plate in the rear location so if down the road I put bucket seats in I wont have to do anymore fab work.
I could've got by without cutting the whole tunnel but it really is easier to cut it out completely. I was nervous about doing it but it's easy looking back and lots less work than patching up a bunch of hacked up mess. Yes on the stock pedal assembly.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Progress has been a little slow lately, I had to spend the past two weekends taking a Osha 30 class. Ugh, I'd rather have teeth pulled at the dentist. I got my trans crossmember tacked up ready to weld. Now I'll pull the block/trans back out and complete the tunnel welding and get the clutch master cylinder bracket in place so I can cut a hole in the firewall for the rod. I feel as I can hopefully motor on now that I've got the tunnel in place. Updates to follow hopefully soon.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Great build thread. You make it look so easy,lol. Nice work tho.

Hey did you purchase an entropy radiator yet? I may be selling mine. Brand new, no fluids thru it, never wired up yet, jus mocked up. Im not sure if it ll fit on my set up yet.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Great build thread. You make it look so easy,lol. Nice work tho.

Hey did you purchase an entropy radiator yet? I may be selling mine. Brand new, no fluids thru it, never wired up yet, jus mocked up. Im not sure if it ll fit on my set up yet.
Yeah I bought one probably a year ago or so. Thanks though, I'm sure it'll be a easy sale on here.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
No earth shattering progress but I did manage to get a stainless steel recessed sump plate laser cut. I bought a Tank's Inc carbon steel recessed plate from a guy on ls1tech but my tank is stainless so I had a local shop take my modified dimensions and cut me out a 14ga stainless version.

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Been a slow go on the wagon this summer as I found out back in June my job of 15+ years is coming to a end in December. I've worked quite a few weekends getting out last few jobs in here and haven't made big progress on the project. I have managed to get the tunnel completed and por15 and seam sealer on it. I've got my clutch hydraulics and master cylinder worked out. I'll pull the trans and mock up block out for hopefully the last time in a day or so.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,540 Posts
Been a slow go on the wagon this summer as I found out back in June my job of 15+ years is coming to a end in December. I've worked quite a few weekends getting out last few jobs in here and haven't made big progress on the project. I have managed to get the tunnel completed and por15 and seam sealer on it. I've got my clutch hydraulics and master cylinder worked out. I'll pull the trans and mock up block out for hopefully the last time in a day or so.
Nice progress!!!

41 - 60 of 94 Posts