Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd post up my timeslip from my best run in July and see what you guys think. I've never really analyzed my timeslips before, just looked at the ET and MPH and tossed them in my glovebox because they were cool. :)

I'd like to learn a little more about what to look for and what the different numbers all mean.

Heres the data:

DA: 2,242 ft

60 ft: 2.02
330 ft: 5.46
1/8 ET: 8.23
1/8 MPH: 88.78
1000' ET: 10.63
1000' MPH: 101.37
1/4 ET: 12.66
1/4 MPH: 110.81

My 60 ft time is bad I know. The car is not spinning or bogging off the line, just lazy. I've been told I need more converter (higher stall speed). Currently running 2200 RPM stall. Called around to different converter shops and based on my engine/car specs they recommended anywhere from 3200-3800 RPM stall speed in a 10" converter.

Other than the poor 60 ft time, does anything else look out of wack or goofy? The car felt great all the way down the track, just lazy out of the hole.

I did swap in some lighter distributor springs on my weights after these runs so it does feel a little better out of the hole and at lower RPM's now on the street, not sure how much that will help on the track though.

Just wondering what you guys that drag race frequently look for in your timeslips after you make a run.

Thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
If your going to race on a regular basis, get a log book and keep track of EVERYTHING. As for time slips I sit down and break down each run (60ft to 330---330 to 1/8 and so on) this will tell you if the car is falling off or just a bad place on that track. Also you need to mark down when you changed motors, trans, oil, tires and everything else pertaining to the car!
And I save all the slips in big spring clips.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I agree, for an accurate comparison, you need basic weather conditions, D.A., etc. Then keep track of everything you did, changed, drive differently etc. That is how you REALLY know if a change is positive. To say I went out in July and went 12.60's and then went out in October and went 12.40's but also changed 5 things, doesn't mean anything. Was it the changes, was it the weather? Plus you need to change 1 thing at a time. Otherwise, one change my pick up a tenth, another may lose .05, but you won't know that when you see a .05 gain on the slip. My car, I can look at the 1/8 mile ET, and see what the car would have run in the 1/4 even if I lifted early because it has a correlation. But I can also see that the 60' change will end up as almost double at the stripe.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I've been drag racing just for fun over the years but never got too serious into it. I dont plan to race on a regular basis, but would like to make the best use of my time there to get my car running good.

Next time I go I'll bring a notebook and jot everything down. Last time I did note things like water temp at the starting line, the DA that day, etc. But I'll have to jot more stuff down I see.

I always save all my timeslips, they eventually end up in photo albums with pictures of my car and stuff.

I see what you're saying about changing one thing at a time and jotting everything down that you do. The only change I've made since I ran the car has been the distributor springs. Still at the same timing setting and carb jetting. If I can make it out again to the track this fall I'll leave everything as is for the first pass, then I'll try changing things like timing/carb and just do one thing at a time.

I've read some stuff about multipliers that can be used to give you a general ballpark estimate of where your car should be from the 1/8 to 1/4 mile. Something like 1.57 for your ET and 1.27 for your MPH.

For example, 8.23 ET in the 1/8 mile x 1.57 = 12.92 ET in the 1/4 mile. Or 88.78 MPH in the 1/8 mile x 1.27 = 112.75 MPH in the 1/4 mile. Not sure how useful or accurate those are though.

I think the main thing I'll change is I'll keep better track of everything I'm doing and stuff so when I do make changes I can see whats making a difference and how much its making a difference instead of just making a bunch of changes and seeing what happens blindly.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Do you have more than one pass?

If so post them up.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure, I ran the car three times last time I went. I'll post them all below...

Pass #1 Pass #2 Pass #3
Reaction Time 0.02 0.00 0.26
60 ft 2.04 2.02 2.02
330 ft 5.48 5.58 5.46
1/8 ET 8.27 8.43 8.23
1/8 MPH 88.36 87.36 88.78
1000' ET 10.68 10.85 10.63
1000' MPH 100.67 100.42 101.37
1/4 ET 12.72 12.90 12.66
1/4 MPH 110.01 110.01 110.81

Pass #1 water temp: 185
Pass #2 water temp: 195
Pass #3 water temp: 175

DA was 2,242 ft at Milan that day according to Dragtimes.com

Sorry for the jumbled data, I tried spacing it out, looks like it didn't like that though.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is using Race IQ software

If you ran the car and shifted the same, then there is a lot of track variables.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Al, that software is pretty cool!

I tried to be as consistent as possible, but I'm no drag racing pro, I only go a couple times a year, and this is the first time I've run my Nova in over 7 years (raced other stuff for fun in between).

I brake torqued up to around 1300-1500 RPM and then nailed it off the line on the third yellow. Shifted each gear at 6000 RPM on each pass, though I dont know how consistent I was with this since I dont have a datalogger or anything.

The track prep usually isnt the best on test n tune nights from what I heard in the pits from the regular dudes there. But I didnt have any problems with traction. Maybe some wind or something factored in on these runs?

The first and third pass are pretty close, the second was off a little, not sure why. My water temp was the highest on that pass, could have been part of it.

I've got all my timeslips entered into a spreadsheet at home, so maybe I can replicate some of this analysis from the software into that (determining time from 60 ft to 330 ft, etc.)

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Don't know if this helps, but some of us can't even get down the track on a test and tune. Also the "water temp" won't tell you anything unless your talking about the motor. I am at 140 +or - going into the burnout box... You need track temp.
Wind mph and wind direction make a big difference also head, tail or cross..all these things need to go in your records...

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bob, I agree, I witnessed that first hand that day, some guys were blowing their tires off out of the hole even after a good burnout and running gigantic slicks. Fortunately (or unfortunately, haha) with my low stall speed right now that's not an issue.

Yes I'm referring to the engine temp, I tried to keep mine below 180 but wasn't too good at that apparently since it varied quite a bit each pass. My last pass I just pushed the car in the staging lanes and didnt fire it up until I absolutely had to. Maybe thats overkill though, but it helped keep my temps down before the pass.

I always hear guys talk about track temperature. Where do you get this info from though? Guess I"m still a little clueless on a lot of things with drag racing. Do you measure that yourself with something or is that provided somewhere at the track?

Same thing with the wind data. Where do you get this? I can go on weather.com or something and get some general data for the area of Milan, but I doubt its going to be exactly the same as at the dragstrip at that time when I run my car. Do you guys have some equipment that collects this stuff for you or does the track provide this to you if you ask? I'm clueless on some of this data collection type stuff.

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
158 Posts
The only thing the track is going to give you is hopefully a safe racing surface. The rest of the info is on you, and with you only doing it once and awhile it wouldn't pay to buy all this BS. Not what you wanted to hear but that's how it is.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I gotcha. Yeah I just take my car to the track a few times a year for a few passes each time for fun, just to see what it'll do and maybe try a few things out, etc. I just wanted to learn a little more is all.

With my limited budget these days, I cant justify buying a bunch of equipment to monitor all that stuff for just a few times a year. Diapers, clothes, baby toys, etc are eating up a great deal of my car budget these days, haha!

Sounds like there is a lot more to it than I originally thought. Interesting stuff. I should try talking to the serious guys more in the pits too, a lot of those guys are usually pretty friendly and are happy to talk about what they're doing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts