Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
This will do what both AAW crimpers will do at $100 less. I have both the yellow and blue AAW crimpers as well as this one. No difference in performance.
Painless Performance Professional Wire Crimpers 70900

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
AAW recommends in their instructions that you solder all joints in addition to using their crimpers. They state the following: "ALL TERMINALS THAT YOU INSTALL SHOULD BE PROPERLY SOLDERED." Our factory terminations are installed by GM approved termination presses, and soldering is not necessary on these terminations."

They are admitting the tool they sell isn't good enough to create a solid connection.

So, no matter how you crimp them you have to also solder the connection. I used my needle nose pliers and a soldering iron and spent zero dollars on a tool.

·
Registered
878 Posts
This is AAW's video that emphasizes the need for the correct crimper. No mention of soldering.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
This is AAW's video that emphasizes the need for the correct crimper. No mention of soldering.
The video is trying to sell you a tool.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I only offer advice based on my experience, 20 years of it in the Avionics field. The instructions that came with the harness state you "SHOULD" solder the connections, you don't have to. When you buy the crimpers that AAW recommends make sure you get both sets because you need two sizes, now the cost is over $200. Or buy some off brand cheap set not recommended by AAW and don't solder the connections. Your choice. Every single connection in my car is soldered and I never have to worry about it. I'm not saying you can't get satisfactory results from the other methods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts