Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started working on replacing the trunk pan on the Nova. As I removed the drop offs to measure and test fit the new ones, I noticed more rust, and then some more, and then...well...just check out the pictures. A headache of a rabbit hole repair but im fully committed to saving this ol gal!

Trunk drop off, meet inner & outter wheelhouse...

Inner and outter wheelhouse, meet your cousin "Rusty" rocker panel...

Rusted rocker panel's inner brace was rusted out pretty bad...

New rocker with custom dent work from the shipping carrier

Not only was the rocker rusted out, but the metal that the interior rear panel hooks to was pretty bad too, had to cut it out and fab up new pieces

Loose mock up of the rusted out interior piece. Keep in mind this whole sh*t show started as a trunk pan replacement

Not too shabby. You can also see that the rocker from AMD far too wide and needed to be disassembled and have metal taken out of the "channel" area to prevent sticking out too far from the car. More pics on that to come

Clearly this was not a plug and play situation. Started thinking through the best POA to take some metal out little by little.

Slowly but surely, a little bit a time, its starting to fit a little more snugly. I used green Frog tape to make reference marks as a clamped into position and removed the rocker numerous times to remove metal and test fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Post continued...

Here you can see where i cut to gradually cut and file in certain areas to remove metal for proper fitment
Clamped thing into place, minus the outer wheelhouse, to check alignment
View from of the rocker to rear quarter with alignment/reference marks. I'll eventually have to repair the dent area of the rocker that wraps around the outer wheelhouse. For now i just need to get the gaps, body contour, and body lines spot on
Not too bad! More Frog tape and reference marks for putting the panels on and off.
Checking and double checking...
And triple checking to make sure the body lines look good
And quadruple checking the contours of the body
Checking gaps between the door and rear quarter
Clamped the rear brake panel in place and mounted the trunk lid. My main area of focus is the rear driver side corner. More pics to come as I get going on it more today. Thanks for following my build!

·
6,277 Posts
It looks like you are in a stage of bodywork for me to offer some suggestions.

It looks like you have a double finger clamp holding the top back edge of the window frame to the inner roof structure and as it looks in the photo, the frame is too far inward so when you release the clamp and get further along with bodywork, try and remember to see how this back edge of the window frame lines up with the front edge of the quarter glass frame. I know on my 74 I had to do some bending of the window frame and I have t think it was from someone closing the door using the window frame and not the door handle.Also too, see how the gap is from the top edge of the window frame against the A pillar up to the roof and then back along the roof edge drip rail. Here too on one side on my 74 I had to drill out spot welds on the window frame and adjust things to get a nice even gap.

Another thing I noticed is hopefully you still have the original quarters and if so you need to get a small but important part off of them and it's nothing more than a small bent piece of metal to fill in the back lower corner of the quarter glass opening. With it missing, and I've seen this on TOO many ones, is once the aluminum trim is installed, there is a gap that doesn't look nice and also more easily allows water to get inside the quarters.

And last but not least (and I may add things later) is on your rocker sills there are openings that allow collected water to drain away and these openings to me allow too much water to stand in place but a little work with a dies grinder and a burr bit or even a rat tail file, these slots can be elongated lower thus allowing less water to remain standing and slowing down any future rust issues.

Jim

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good job, it can get maddening. I ended up buying an inspection scope and sticking it down in every nook and cranny to see what things look like. Not that it made me feel better. Going down the rabbit hole sucks when you think your moving forward.
Thanks JMark, I definitely waited until I was mentally prepared to dive in. Even cleared a few to-do items to focus for a good solid 8 weeks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jim, your help is greatly appreciated! The piece you mentioned that needs to be removed from the original quarter was rotted out beyond saving but I have a template drawn out of it that I'll fab up when I get to the mounting of the quarter panel part of the build. Oddly enough, the new rocker doesn't even have the sill drains, I'll drill and mill out some elongated ones as you suggested. More picks to come! Thanks again!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't get much done today, had to approve my guys' time cards and check/respond to emails before work tomorrow. Did have a chance to get in the garage and do some value added work though

Closed up a few holes where my spot weld cutter went went clean through

Welded in the door jam piece i fabbed up that was completely rotted out. Still have two more to do. You can see the two magnets holding the only part that was salvageable from this area.

Blew threw in a couple of areas as I wasn't focused enough given the other things i needed to tackle today. I'll do the top part over next weekend.

Wanted to put in the door striker to check alignment, seems to line up perfectly with the reference marks i made.

More to come later...

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
The rabbit hole seems to go very deep with Novas (replacement quarters turned into trunk drop offs and wheel wells for me, as well as lots of patching).
Thanks Jim, your help is greatly appreciated! The piece you mentioned that needs to be removed from the original quarter was rotted out beyond saving but I have a template drawn out of it that I'll fab up when I get to the mounting of the quarter panel part of the build. Oddly enough, the new rocker doesn't even have the sill drains, I'll drill and mill out some elongated ones as you suggested. More picks to come! Thanks again!
Any chance you can share that template at some point? I have my passenger side piece, but due to the driver quarter being replaced way before I got the car I don't have that side. Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not a problem. I'll get some measurements this week and post them here for those that are interested. I can actually have a few of these stamped up for fairly reasonable if other members are interested.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
It looks like you are in a stage of bodywork for me to offer some suggestions.

It looks like you have a double finger clamp holding the top back edge of the window frame to the inner roof structure and as it looks in the photo, the frame is too far inward so when you release the clamp and get further along with bodywork, try and remember to see how this back edge of the window frame lines up with the front edge of the quarter glass frame. I know on my 74 I had to do some bending of the window frame and I have t think it was from someone closing the door using the window frame and not the door handle.Also too, see how the gap is from the top edge of the window frame against the A pillar up to the roof and then back along the roof edge drip rail. Here too on one side on my 74 I had to drill out spot welds on the window frame and adjust things to get a nice even gap.

Another thing I noticed is hopefully you still have the original quarters and if so you need to get a small but important part off of them and it's nothing more than a small bent piece of metal to fill in the back lower corner of the quarter glass opening. With it missing, and I've seen this on TOO many ones, is once the aluminum trim is installed, there is a gap that doesn't look nice and also more easily allows water to get inside the quarters.

And last but not least (and I may add things later) is on your rocker sills there are openings that allow collected water to drain away and these openings to me allow too much water to stand in place but a little work with a dies grinder and a burr bit or even a rat tail file, these slots can be elongated lower thus allowing less water to remain standing and slowing down any future rust issues.

Jim
Jim, where you say to transfer the filler from the lower corner on the quarter window to the new panel you refer to a stamped steel piece as well. I'm not sure if I know what stamped piece you are referring to but I definitely see some sort of putty that was used to fill the hole. What is that substance and can it just be replaced. Mine is cracked and looks like it could fall out.

·
6,277 Posts
Jim, where you say to transfer the filler from the lower corner on the quarter window to the new panel you refer to a stamped steel piece as well. I'm not sure if I know what stamped piece you are referring to but I definitely see some sort of putty that was used to fill the hole. What is that substance and can it just be replaced. Mine is cracked and looks like it could fall out.
In my one above picture with the red outline is this metal piece. I took the picture when I already had it in place and off memory, it needed some filler in that area and I ended up prepping the metal, and then probably used some short tiger hair filler then after that followed up with regular filler. I also seem to remember when I was close fitting this corner to the aluminum molding I masked off this corner of the trim, mixed up some filler and over filled this corner and then quickly bolted the trim in place mooshing out the excess filler and then let it set up some and knocked some of the half hardened filler out and then a little while after that when it was almost setup, I took the trim off to where I could hit the rubbery filler at that point with some 36 grit or so to work it a little and then once fully hardened up, worked my way through some finer grits and every so often bolting the trim back on just to check my progress.
I have a feeling the metal filler does two things, One is to fill a gap in that are from when the quarter panel was stamped out and this spot may not have been consistent in size and then with the filler metal, it also strengthened this corner. I'm pretty sure the factory filled this corner with flexible seam sealer like what they used in the door jambs.
If one does have a gap with the trim in place, and they don't want to fabricate a metal filler, then one might be able to fill the area using a mig welder.
One on e spot on my 74, I added just weld on one of the top back edges of a door to get a nice consistent gap and it worked just fine doing that in that area.
Jim

·
6,277 Posts
I have to think the curvature might be different between the 68-72 and the 73-74 but here are some more shots of the one on my 74 I just found:

Sorry but no measurements or anything to go with as far as scale as I took these pictures many years back and are not the highest resolution but it looks like a piece that could be somewhat easily formed.

Jim

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a template of the piece mentioned above. I'll take some measurements later today or tomorrow and post them. I also have the original piece and may just post pictures over graphing paper, that may be easier to replicate for anyone who needs to make one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts