Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola, I have factory AC/DELCO AM/FM radio in my 78.I think its off a 77 Nova. I purchased a nice pair of stereo speakers. When I have the volume set low the music sounds nice however when I raise the volume it becomes distorted and I have ratchet back the volume. I know speakers aren't even close to being topped out. any thoughts on what causing the distortion?
Thanks

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,113 Posts
Are the new speakers 4Ω ?

The amplifiers in most 60's and 70's Delco radios are designed to drive 8 to 10Ω speakers. Using lower impedance (4Ω) speakers will allow more current to flow, and therefore more power to be delivered to the speakers, but only up to a point. The radio's amplifier stage can only supply so much power before it starts to distort the signal (clipping) or overheat.

Here's some additional info on the subject --> http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/spkramp.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

Hi I appreciate the feedback I'll double check ground wires. I have 4 ohm speakers couldn't find any 8 ohm in 6.5 dia speakers. my custom console has pre-cut 6.5 holes on either side. I'll look a little harder.
Thanks

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi I appreciate the feedback I'll double check ground wires. I have 4 ohm speakers couldn't find any 8 ohm in 6.5 dia speakers. my custom console has pre-cut 6.5 holes on either side. I'll look a little harder.
Thanks
Here in Mexico you can have your speakers custom made. Im sure some shop can do for next to nothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.