Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I have a few questions to ask. I'm in the process of rebuilding my 74 nova. I want to shed weight off my car as much as possible. Do you think it would be ok to cut out the panel behind the back seats and rivet in aluminum. I would think cutting that large of a piece would shed a few lbs and would NOT effect the structure of the body?

Also:
Do you think I could cut out the trunk pan and rivet in aluminum? Or do you think this will also compromise strength?

The nova will be used as a street car maybe a weekend track car. It's going to be making around 400 horse.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Im not sure how heavy the back seat area is on a 74 but I just removed the whole trunk pan in my 63 for new frame rails and there wasnt alot of weight there. How about fiberglass hood? That would shed some lbs. I dont think the rivits would be as strong either the trunk pan on mine really ties it all together.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for your response. I do plan to install fiberglass hood, fiberglass front and rear bumpers. But that would be after I do all the metal work and rust preventive. Maybe I'll just sand the crap out of the trunk and por 15 it. Sometime my thoughts aren't as big as my wallet. Although the thought of a nice a shiny aluminum is tempting :)

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Cutting out the trunk wall and replacing it with an aluminum piece won't yield you much in the way of faster times. I would look at the big pieces like the engine. An aluminum block will shed around 100lbs off the nose of the car which will make it handle much more nimbly!

Are you building the car to race or for street? Shedding weight for the street won't do a whole lot as far as increasing your SOTP horsepower. You would have to shed ALOT of weight to really feel and measure the difference. If it's a race car than yank the back seat(but leave the trunk wall. This way you have a barrier in case there's a fuel cell fire!), put in some lightweight racing seats, relocate your battery to the trunk, tear out any A/C you have, Tear out any stereo equipment especially amps, tear out the interior, Fiberglass hood/trunk, etc.

If I remember correctly every hundred pounds you shed will give you a .10 at the strip.

John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will be used as a street car. It's my first restoration project but I figured I wanted to do it right the first time. :) Thanks to everyone for your help. In 2 weeks when I graduate college, I'm sure there will be a boat load of new question that come arise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts